Position at Vulcan
This Senior Accountant position will prepare, compile, analyze and maintain accounting records for multiple business entities. A strong knowledge of GAAP and general ledger accounting is necessary for this position. Because this role will have the opportunity to work with many different business groups within Vulcan, this position must exhibit strong professionalism and communication skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the monthly close process by preparing journal entries, reports, analysis, and supporting schedules, as needed, under the direction of management.
- Review contracts and advise on appropriate accounting treatment.
- Reconcile accounting system to the GL and effectively resolve discrepancies.
- Prepare asset management reports and work with accountants to ensure accuracy of the information presented.
- Assist in the preparation and review of tax schedules.
- Assist with bank draws, file uploads, and project reporting.
- Provide direct and timely support to Finance Managers and their business partners as requested.
- Support annual budget process and provide user assistance as needed.
- Perform special projects under the direction of management, and respond appropriately to requests from other company personnel.
- Prepare reports to be used by management for analyzing financial information.
- Identify opportunities for process and procedure improvements and work with management to implement.
- Apply principles of accounting and use judgment and other professional skills in determining the appropriate procedures for preparing and maintaining accounting records and reports.
- Work both independently and in a team environment.
- Concurrently perform multiple assignments and self-manage schedule to determine workflow timing and duration.
- Mentor team members on accounting principles and application.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Accounting software/systems experience.
- Detail oriented, organized, and analytical in approach to tasks.
- Ability to communicate with Vulcan personnel and external contacts in a professional manner with limited supervision.
- Ability to effectively respond to requests or questions from managers and colleagues in both written and oral form.
- High degree of flexibility and customer service attitude.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
Preferred computer skills
- Experience working in a multiple company accounting environment.
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Oracle, or other similar accounting systems.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A or B.S.) in accounting from an accredited institution and 4 (four) years relevant accounting experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A firm understanding of financial systems, processes and internal controls.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel and Outlook especially), Windows.
- CPA or comparable equivalent highly preferred.
Vulcan is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, age, gender, religion, disability, LGBTQ status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
or your recruiter.