What is the YREADS?
YREADS is an after-school reading assistance and mentoring program providing opportunities for at-risk and low-income childrenin kindergarten through fourth grade to develop the reading skills they need to succeed in school.
* Plan and implement appropriate daily lesson/mentoring plan and support
volunteers/mentors in carrying out activities.
* Program management, as well as literacy skills, volunteer recruitment and
* Manage volunteer recruitment training for YMCA READS! Program
*Establish community and corporate relationships in order to promote the program
*Organize and present events and activities aimed at volunteer/mentor retention
* Develop plans for Family Nights and communication to encourage family support of
the program objectives and to build strong families.
* Form relationships with principal, guidance staff and reading specialists at
program school sites to promote a team approach to youth mentoring.
* Prepare or help prepare budget and ensure operations are within the approved
budget. Maintain accurate records.
* Ensure all governmental, YMCA, and organizational records and reporting
requirements are in compliance.
EXPERIENCE/PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills and
- Knowledge of marketing and volunteer development.
- Have administrative abilities and be detail oriented.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experienced in childcare management or school age literacy.
- Experienced in volunteer recruitment, training, and retention.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and utilize initiative, ability to be organized and to
meet deadlines with minimal reminders
- Work to continue personal competency through education, outside literature,
- Computer experience in a Windows environment, Microsoft Office (Excel,
- Successfully complete State of Florida Criminal History Background Check
requirements as well as meet the Association's policies on background screening.
- Possess a Florida driver's license.
Bachelor's degree in elementary education, desirable. Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in
education, volunteer development, marketing, public relations, problem solving and
- Willingness to carry out the mission of the YMCA and its programs
- Able to work as a team member and leader
- Able to work with a diverse group of people
- Possess a conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change
- Ability to forge mutually respectful partnerships with persons served
- Possess qualities which enable staff member to work well with children, such as:
capacity to give and receive appropriate affection, sensitivity, flexibility,
emotional maturity, ability to work with frustration and conflict, a sense of humor
and the capacity to respect persons with differing lifestyles and philosophies.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $40,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Administrative: 1 year (Preferred)
- Literacy Education: 2 years (Required)
- Volunteer Management: 1 year (Preferred)
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible