Please complete an application here:
Job Summary: Responsible for repairs and preventative maintenance for buildings, equipment and facilities of Youth & Civic Center, Park property buildings, Tourism Information Center. Assist Operating Engineer with electrical hook-ups for trade shows, concerts, etc. that make use of the Civic Center. Trouble shoots electrical, air conditioning and refrigeration problems. Plans assignments and supervises the full‑time general services staff in providing daily set‑up, maintenance and cleaning of the building and grounds for the Wicomico County Youth and Civic Center.
(Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Conducts preventative maintenance of buildings, facilities and equipment using electrical, plumbing, tile, lighting, refrigeration, carpentry, welding, painting, HVAC and soldering skills.
- Assures safe electric set-up for all shows/events in the Civic Center. Connects electric for campers on selected events.
- Repairs small appliances, lawn equipment, kitchen and concession stand equipment.
- Installs ice machine, sound systems, telephone, computer and other electric lines and services as needed. Installs computer and phone lines as needed.
- Maintains and repairs mechanical systems throughout the facility. Works with outside contractors to complete repairs as necessary.
- Fabricates and repairs stage sections, risers, box office, dressing rooms, kitchen and concession equipment.
- Oversees service contracts.
- Replaces lighting fixtures and bulbs. Repairs and replaces tile in floor, ceiling and walls. Operates scissor lift and forklift as needed.
- Assists in training general services employees on equipment operation and repair, safety training, and emergency response.
- Coordinate and supervise the staff as they clean all surfaces of the building on a daily basis due to the high volume of public use. Cleaning includes: all hard surfaces and carpeted floors in the building (with specialized equipment), walls, windows, Venetian blinds, restrooms, hallways, administrative offices, meeting rooms, locker rooms, upholstered chairs, risers, and all tables, draperies and items used in set‑ups for events.
- Coordinate and supervise the crews as they set up and breakdown for all events in the building including the food service division, stages, risers, basketball floors and basketball backboards, chairs, tables, booths, pipes and drapes, table coverings, sound system and all audio visual needs. Set‑ups and breakdowns often occur after events and require working well into the early hours of the next morning. Forklift operation is also included in this set‑up function.
- Delegate duties to the maintenance staff as they perform various supplementary duties including: painting as required to inside and outside of building, lawn maintenance, setting up holiday season decorations (banners, etc.) for various seasons and events, etc.
- Review floor plans and set‑ups.
- Provide customer service to rental patrons
- Assist General Services Manager with the administrative paperwork required to operate the staff: weekly work schedules, time sheets and monthly leave sheets, billing information forms, employee evaluations, etc.
- Order cleaning and janitorial supplies, uniforms, parts and supplies as needed.
- Supervise detention center inmates and work release as necessary.
- Perform related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
County employees are expected to perform or possess the following:
- Requires troubleshooting abilities and technical skills and experience in HVAC, plumbing and electric.
- Ability to use all carpentry, electrical, and plumbing tools.
- Must work rotating shifts so the building is covered from 7 a.m. until l1 p.m. on regular workdays and twenty‑four hours per day on event or show days.
- Must maintain good morale among the staff.
- Effective interpersonal skills to handle difficult situations with subordinate personnel,
- Inmates on work release, show personnel, and the general public.
- Ability to read and interpret room set up diagrams to meet customer needs.
- Ability to inventory and order cleaning supplies and equipment
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma required.
- Two years progressive work experience in HVAC, electric, plumbing and mechanical operating systems.
- Experience or prior training in employee management.
- Prior cleaning or custodial maintenance experience.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various tools related to electrical, HVAC and plumbing repairs required by the job. Significant standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, and handling, pushing, and pulling. Lifting of tables and chairs. Lifting of approximately 100 pounds. Some working at heights. Some exposure to odors from animals in shows and exhaust fumes. Physical capability to effectively use and operate equipment such as vacuums, floor buffers, and other cleaning devices, as well as a personal computer and copier. Daily lifting of tables and chairs. Set‑up of basketball floor requires lifting of approximately 100 pounds.
- Possession of a valid diver’s license.
- CPR & First Aid certification
- Fork lift operator certification
Job Type: Full-time
- Forklift: 1 year (Preferred)
- HVAC: 2 years (Preferred)
- Plumbing: 2 years (Preferred)
- Electrical: 2 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Salisbury, MD 21803 (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- First Aid Certification (Required)
- CPR Certification (Required)
- Morning (Preferred)
- Mid-Day (Preferred)
- Graveyard (Preferred)
- Evening (Preferred)