Custodian 4 (Swing shift)
Monday to Friday; 5:00 p.m. – 1:30 a.m.
Are you ready to work for an agency that truly values customers and staff? At the Department of Enterprise Services
(DES) we are a business driven, customer-focused organization that provides valued products and services to government and state residents. We are constantly evolving and growing. We have high expectations and a career at DES means to challenge yourself to always do and be better.
A little bit about us:
By joining our team, you'll be part of an agency that encourages creativity and is committed to driving innovative solutions that are directly based on customer feedback and insight. To maintain and propel our culture of a Human-Centered focus, we strive to understand what our customers need to be fully satisfied. We hire and cultivate team members who listens to understand our customer's expectations and create the solutions they need. As a result, we're intensely focused on
Three Big Things:
Team Member Satisfaction, and
What you will be doing:
Don't underestimate the importance of this position. You will be working on a beautiful, historic campus. You will be providing direct supervision of custodian teams performing a variety of custodial work. You will provide information and instruction in the care, cleaning, and upkeep of state agency buildings on the Capitol Campus and satellite buildings to ensure that work is performed to customer expectations and OS1 cleaning standards. You will communicate with customers and represent the agency's values and goals.
The high performance your team provides in the buildings you clean for our customers is so vital and essential in allowing them to be productive in performing their jobs.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for someone that has fortitude, able to give directives in a positive and professional manner, able to listen and follow directions as well as listening to your team, knows how to stay on task, is organized and detail oriented, and has a great attitude and personality as you may come in contact with customers.
Why YOU would want this job:
This is your chance to gain new skills within our agency. You will be supervising a team. When you rotate into a new area, you will be going into a clean environment, so you won't have to re-clean or start from scratch. We also incorporate safety into our culture. We strive for an environment where our employees are and stay safe.
That's the work side, but let us tell you about the real bonuses you will find here that you won't find in other places:
- We "clean for health", meaning that we use sustainable products for YOUR protection as well as others.
- On-the-job security (working with your team and provided 2-way radios to reach someone at any time)
- The State offers GREAT benefits to include Annual Leave, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Medical/Dental/Life Insurances, and Shift Differential.
- Full-Time employment
- Regular raises (milestone based)
- 2nd Shift hours (aka Swing Shift) can allow you more flexibility with your personal life such as: continuing education, holding outside employment during off-hours, possibly not paying daycare if you work opposite hours than your other caregiver.
- And many promotional opportunities within DES.
If you want to work in a place that truly values you and your ideas to improve our processes and how we meet our customer expectations, if you want to feel empowered, engaged, and motivated as you work with like-minded individuals that work hard for our customers and are just as passionate about our beautiful buildings and grounds, then this is THE place to be!
You will provide direct supervision of custodian teams performing a variety of custodial work. You will provide information and instruction in the care, cleaning, and upkeep of state agency buildings on the Capitol Campus and satellite buildings to ensure that work is performed to customer expectations and OS1 cleaning standards. You will communicate with customers and represent the agency's values and goals.
- Provides on-site direction of custodial work activities.
- Assigns tasks, evaluates work and provides feedback on results to custodians.
- Inspects work against established standards and counsels employees on performance.
- Provides supplies, equipment and materials with which custodians will perform their work.
- Meets and works closely with customers to ensure the delivery of services is adequate, on time and professional.
- Orders supplies and maintains a 'just in time' inventory of custodial supplies.
- Inspects to ensure that equipment is properly maintained; keeps attendance records, prepares reports as required; distributes keys and schedules employee vacations in coordination with supervisors and workloads.
- Maintains time records; prepare PDPs (evaluations and expectations) and PDF's.
- Communicates with immediate supervisor on agency and program goals.
- Ensure staff are utilizing the correct timekeeping Work Order numbers, approve and track leave.
- Prepare PDP's, EDPP's and PDF's that are meaningful and in line with agency standards and ensure that PDPs are completed on time, 100 percent of the time.
- At times will be required to do custodial cleaning when short staffed up to 20% of your shift.
At least one (1) year of experience supervising or directing others in large-scale housekeeping, janitorial, general or building maintenance or custodial work.
Four (4) years of commercial custodial experience
- Must have a valid Driver's license and able to drive in accordance with agency policy.
- Completion of the 8th grade.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to use vacuum, mops and other equipment safely as designed.
- The ability to read, write and speak English.
- The ability to work in a crowded, high pressure work environment.
READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY:
- The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the "duties summary" section of your application in Careers.wa.gov, completeness of the application material submitted, and the supplemental questionnaire.
- A resume will not substitute for completing the "duties summary" section of the application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire regarding work experience must be reflected in the "duties summary" section of the application.
- By submitting materials you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
- Prior to any new appointment into the Department of Enterprise Services, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
As a condition of employment, the candidate accepting this position will be required to comply with the Union Security clause contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the State of Washington and the Washington Federation of State Employees. This means that, as a condition of employment the candidate must either join the union and pay union dues, or pay the union a representational or other fee within 30 days of the date you are put into pay status.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications
and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUST
attach a copy of their DD-214, or other verification of military service.
Applicants claiming veteran's preference points must attach the documentation with each on-line application. If you do not provide appropriate documentation to qualify for these preference points, the points will not be awarded.
For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible,
We thank you and are grateful for your service
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Angie Anderson at (360) 407-8446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The State of Washington is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture. We encourage women, veterans, people of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, age, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Persons with a disability who need assistance with their application or that need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.