Volunteers of America is a national, non-profit, faith-based organization dedicated to helping those in need rebuild their lives and reach their full potential. Volunteers of America is currently recruiting for Outreach Monitors for our Reno Nevada programs. Currently we have on-call, part-time, and full-time positions available.
The Outreach Monitor is responsible for assuring quality service in a safe, non-judgmental manner to all program participants compassionately and professionally as it relates to the specific program objectives. Objectives include supportive interaction with program participants and team members, assessment of participant’s needs, supporting the safety and the integrity of all residents, delivering targeted outreach efforts to enhance and expand the continuity of services, and performance of all work duties as required. Work is performed in a cost effective and service oriented manner as it relates to established organizational standards.
- Responsible for performing daily work requirements to achieve established objectives of the department.
- Explain program policies and procedures to residents and facilitate residents’ observance of the rules.
- Patrol the entire perimeter of the property at least every 30 minutes.
- Provide outreach and information to participants to encourage involvement in program services.
- Continuously patrol areas of high foot traffic, to include parking lot(s) and Day Area.
- Patrol, when needed in emergency situations, interiors of North and South Buildings. In all incidents of inside assistance, an incident report shall be taken.
- Patrol interior Shelter buildings once, after hours to ensure all clients are out of the building and office doors are locked.
- Escort staff to their cars, if requested, unless currently responding to an incident.
- Assist with crowd control during times that meals are served or donations are distributed.
- Ensure parking lots remain accessible to those needing to access the facilities.
- Keep parking lots free and clear of people loitering.
- Contact City of Reno staff in cases of problematic vehicles (abandoned, leaking fluids, etc.)
- Prevent individuals from sleeping in their vehicles.
- Open Evans Street driveway through gate between 7:00am - 9:00am and 4:30pm – 5:30pm Monday through Friday.
- Monitor front gates, vehicle and pedestrian, after 9:00pm when gates are closed.
- Assist in evacuation in the event of a fire alarm or any other emergency.
- Post removal notices on unattended belongings and unattended bicycles not parked in a bike rack.
- Report incidents in an incident log.
- Conduct housekeeping for on-site guard shack.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for assistance with client development.
- Support the Volunteers of America Staff in implementing plans to assist the residents in the successful completion of the program.
- Role model positive behavior to help clients as they work towards self- sufficiency.
- Responsible for all areas of daily program maintenance in compliance with company policies.
- Document and report all client concerns and/or infractions that can impact the program security.
- Complete all shift logs, observation logs, and incident reports.
- Monitor inventory of program equipment and supplies and take appropriate action to replace or restock as needed.
- Secure approval for exceptions to standard policy.
- Notify management of potential workflow problems and resource needs necessary to attain performance standards.
- Adhere to staffing schedules in order to provide adequate/safe staffing coverage and to accomplish program objectives.
- Communicate with on site program staff, Program Manager, Program Director, service providers and external county/state/city program representatives as required.
- Direct available resources as required.
- Comprehend and adhere to ethical standards, program philosophy guidelines, and confidentiality laws.
- Responsible for the assistance of training and development of new staff.
- Assist the Program Manager and Program Director in department orientation and training of new employees as requested to assure quality work outcomes.
- Identify appropriate ongoing training for both new and existing staff and report needs to management.
- Serve as part of the program development team by providing information and support for the development of quality operations.
- Maintain an above average working knowledge of fire, safety, and health standards to assure safe work environment for clients and all personnel.
- Responsible for self-development
- Continually learn and enhance technical and interpersonal skills.
- Attend staff meetings/assigned training seminars and complete required certifications, i.e. CPR, First Aid, etc.
EQUIVALENT EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
This position requires demonstrated ability to communicate and comprehend oral and written instructions and to provide services to clients without ethnic or social prejudices. It requires general knowledge of issues and challenges unique to homelessness, substance abuse, young adults, minorities, and persons with disabilities. Must be able to utilize a range of interventions to work with clients with varying needs and levels of functioning. Must have the flexibility to work irregular hours and have the willingness to function as a team member. A high school degree is required. Computer skills preferred but not required. Requires CPR and First Aid training within ninety (90) days of employment, re-certification as necessary and T.B. testing annually. A valid Nevada driver’s license and clean driving record is required.
SPECIFIC SKILLS REQUIRED:
Strong oral and written communication skills
Ability to de-escalate crisis situations and assist residents and staff in emergency situations
Analytical and decision making ability
This position requires the incumbent to be able to move quickly, walk frequently, run when necessary and work in inclement weather conditions.
- Lift and move up to 25 pounds
- Physically able to safely maneuver weight distribution of a client in an emergency situation
- Stand, walk, run, bend, stoop, and sit frequently
- Kneel occasionally
- Climb stairs where programs have more than one level
- Be able to maneuver quickly in emergency situations to assist clients as needed
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $13.50 /hour
- working with the homeless population: 1 year (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- NV Driver's License and clean driving record (Required)
- Morning (Preferred)
- Mid-Day (Preferred)
- Evening (Preferred)
- Graveyard (Preferred)