The Switchman is responsible for conducting rail operations to ensure that all rail conditions and operations are in compliance with safety, environmental, and operational policies / procedures / needs.
Typical duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensuring strict compliance with safety policies and procedures.
- Ensuring strict compliance with environmental requirements.
- Complying with all facility & operating policies and procedures.
- Performing required activities that include but not limited to: manual operation of equipment, control of systems, recording & logging production data via paper logs and / or software.
- Performing regular housekeeping activities to ensure safe & clean work environment.
- Performing operator maintenance activities and participate in troubleshooting issues as they arise.
- Performing equipment preparation & permitting of maintenance activities via standard safe work practices.
- Participation in continuous training provided for day-to-day operations.
- Participation in emergency situations as required.
- Ensuring proper shift turn-over by effective written and oral communications about activity that occurred
- Maintaining good communications with peers and management team within the unit and other departments.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Rail experience serving as switchman, conductor, or engineer
- Willingness to comply with all safety rules and processes
- Willingness to support policy of a drug-free work environment
- Willingness to serve on Emergency Response Team
- Demonstrate knowledge of General Code of Operating Rules
- Straight nights shift schedule (nights, weekends, holidays and overtime)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without requiring sponsorship
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must be able to pass a manual dexterity exam; lift a minimum of 50 lbs., climb ladders without fear of heights, bend, pull, push, run up to one mile, etc.
- Ability to multi-task and be thorough with activities
- Ability to manage stress
- Ability to work as a team
- Good verbal and written communication skills (fluent in English)
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of SAP
- Knowledge of process, laboratory, and mechanical operations
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements (i.e. OSHA, FRA, EPA, TCEQ, RCRA)
- Knowledge of PLC / DCS systems
- Experience working in a Chemical Manufacturing Plant
- Experience with safe work practices
- Experience with maintenance activities
- Experience with Emergency Response
- Experience in a leadership position