Role Code/Title 59074 - Lab & Research Spec II (04)
Position Number H59074
Working Title Research Assistant
Department Health Behavior And Policy
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants
Anticipated Hiring Range $28/hr
Campus MCV Campus
Position Type Hourly
Normal work days
Normal work hours
Job Category Research
Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No
Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No
Is any portion of this position grant-funded? Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the grant.
Sensitive Position No
Resource Critical Yes
Description of the Job
Seeking a part time research assistant who has experience with geospatial modelling. Specific duties include:
- Build, including data cleaning, a multimodal geographic network dataset of public and private transit systems for the US Southern states plus the District of Columbia. The public transit networks will use the General Transit Feed Specification (GTFS) for bus transit systems and where possible incorporate metro/subway transit systems.
- Conduct spatial joins of zip codes and zip code tabulation areas (ZCTAs)
- Estimate and geocode the population-weighted centroid of the ZCTA, geocode dataset addresses
- Use ArcGIS and Network Analyst to estimate travel time
- Conduct statistical analysis on disparities in geographic access to HIV care and other related analyses using a large, comprehensive, longitudinal database of Medicaid administrative claims
- Draft manuscripts or sections of manuscripts on disparities in geographic access to HIV care and other related analyses
- Attendance at weekly team meeting, take and circulate weekly meeting minutes
- Regular oral and written communication with PI to document progress.
- Ability to manage large databases
- Facility with Medicaid Analytic eXtract (MAX) files
- Proficient working with ArcDesktop applications, including ArcMap and Arc Catalogue.
- Ability to interpolate data within the ArcGIS environment.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Possess strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time management, and oral and written English communication.
- Track record of publishing work related to geographic network analysis, geospatial modelling or similar work.
- Master’s degree in health policy, biostatistics, urban planning, or related field
Job Open Date 08/16/2018
Remove from posting on or before
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants