Full Job Description
Technical Writer - Scrum Team Member
Founded by Scrum co-creator Ken Schwaber, Scrum.org provides comprehensive training, assessments, and certification in support of its mission to Improve the Profession of Software Delivery. Throughout the world, our solutions and community of Professional Scrum Trainers empower people and organizations to improve their software delivery processes and products through learning and practicing Professional
About the Position:
We are seeking a professional, people friendly highly motivated individual to join our team. Compensation will be on a full-time fixed-price contract basis in our Burlington, MA headquarters location.
The Technical Writer - Scrum Team Memberwill be expected to create and edit content in support of the Certification Assessments and “Open” Assessments offered by Scrum.org. The individual should expect to work closely with the Assessment Product Owner and Subject Matter Experts on tasks such as the following:
- Maintain and update existing assessment questions.
- Develop entirely new assessment questions and participate in decisions about how questions are categorized and allocated on a new test.
- Engage with Professional Scrum Trainers (PSTs) and other Subject Matter Experts to elicit their feedback and to generate new assessment questions.
- Organize and attend meetings. (Scrum.org works with experts around the world so some meetings may occur outside of typical business hours.)
- Consolidate the input of multiple stakeholders then move forward with new or edited assessment questions.
- Work directly in the “Test Platform” that delivers the assessments to our end users.
- Follow procedures to update existing questions within the platform or to submit new content while ensuring the integrity of the assessments.
- Maintain a Scrum.org “Style Guide” for assessment questions and adhering to that guide.
- Assist with other editorial / copy editing needs within the organization as needed. e.g. blogs, books, and website content.
- Collaborate daily with Scrum.org team members.
Scrum.org is a team centric organization and the Technical Writer – Scrum Team Member will also be expected to be a valuable contributor to our overall Team. For example, as a member of the Scrum Team this individual will be expected to participate in the Daily Scrum.
Desired candidates will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or other related fields which focus on editing, writing, fact checking, layout, and proofreading skills.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to remain focused and re-prioritize work, as often happens in a small Agile organization.
- Prior experience creating standardized tests, test questions, and material used to prepare or study for tests.
- Experience editing technical documentation - both for consistency of language and structure; as well as, copy editing.
- Experience working in an Agile organization - preferably experience working with Scrum Teams.
- Proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Google Tools especially Google Docs and Google Sheets.
- Comfortable learning new skills; such as, learning to produce questions in a specific markup format that can be imported into the Scrum.org “Test Platform”.
- Experience working with multiple, possibly opinionated stakeholders to reach consensus.
- An interest in Scrum and how organizations are using Scrum to become Agile and deliver increasing value to their customers.
Travel on an occasional basis where meeting face-to-face with a Subject Matter Expert might be the most expedient way to generate new or updated assessment content.
Interested candidates should include a resume, cover letter and monthly contract rate expectation.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay may depend on skills and/or qualifications
- Technical Writing: 2 years (Preferred)
Full Time Opportunity: