Mayo Civic Center is Southern Minnesota's premier destination for local, regional, national and international conventions, entertainment, social and sporting opportunities. Serving as a vital economic generator for the region, Mayo Civic Center focuses on providing an exceptional experience by delivering world-class service and high-quality, versatile facilities.
Recently Mayo Civic Center opened an 188,000 square foot Convention Center equipped with the very latest in event technology services. This new facility will complement Mayo Civic Center's existing entertainment, sports and tradeshow facilities. The Event Coordinator must be customer service oriented, possessing highly developed technical and people skills with an aptitude and understanding for event production methods and practices.
Nature of Work
The Event Coordinator position is responsible for planning and coordinating events at the Mayo Civic Center. Responsibilities involve the organization of events including overseeing and arranging all event details prior to, during, and following events, providing customer services, serving as a customer's key liaison, maintaining event records, and performing related duties as required.
This individual is required to exercise initiative and independent judgment, as well as collaborate with others in performing job responsibilities. The position requires work schedule flexibility and availability to work weekends, evenings and holidays as the events schedule requires. This position reports directly to the Event Services Manager and indirectly to the Managing Director.
Starting salary range of $59,039 to $69,456, depending on qualifications, with advancement to $83,348.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled with
priority consideration given to applications received by October 7, 2018.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Event Planning and Coordination
* Event Oversight
- Collaborate the event planning and coordination process with the Mayo Civic Center event planners, users, management team and vendors.
- Issue contractual agreements and provide corresponding information and guidelines for events.
- Prepare written event orders and diagrams according to standardized procedures.
- Conduct and coordinate pre-event meetings to identify client's expectations and requirements.
- Collect pre-event information to ensure adequate space, personnel, equipment, etc. is available and provide detailed written estimate to the customer
- Provide accurate customer needs and event planning information to the appropriate staffing.
- Conduct and coordinate post event meeting to discuss any client concerns or issues that may have occurred during the event.
- Enforce rules/regulations concerning use of facility and ensure adherence to contractual terms.
- Confer with representatives of user organizations and contractors. (i.e. clients, food and beverage vendors, outside audio/visual consultants, decorators)
- Assist in updating website with appropriate event details and images
- Oversee and monitor operational services during events.
- Ensure facility readiness including clear accessibility to emergency exits, and assessing part-time staff are on site and in assigned designated areas.
- Answer client/patron questions and provide assistance
- Ensure safety of patrons and staff and provide guidance should an emergency situation occur.
- Serve as liaison between clients, staff, patrons, and vendors. (i.e. caterers, decorators)
Perform other related duties as assigned or necessary.
- Maintain accurate records in regards to expenditures and event statistics.
- Finalize service orders in preparation for invoicing.
- Develop, maintain, and update comprehensive database from previous events.
- Write/draft routine correspondence.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly event summary information to the Mayo Civic Center director.
*ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Education and Experience
An Associate's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Communications, Liberal Arts or related field and three (3) years of experience managing, planning and coordinating events.
Experience with event scheduling software.
A Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Communications, Liberal Arts or related field
Experience with Ungerboeck, Social Tables, AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator software systems.
Licenses and/or Certifications
Valid driver's license; IAVM Venue Management School
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
business principles and office related technology such as word processing, database and spreadsheet software; the principles, practices and techniques of public facility management; sales, marketing, promotion and effective management principles.
communicating effectively both orally and in written forms to varying audiences; organizing not only the work of the employee him/herself but also with the work with others with careful attention to detail; interpreting contracts and associated information.
establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public; develop and maintain an accurate event records management system; work varied and/or extended hours including evenings, weekends and holidays
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CRITERIA
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represents the physical and environmental demands for this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodation.
In consideration of the overall amount of physical effort required to perform this position, the work is best described as Sedentary Work to Medium Work
: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. This job will occasionally require exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects in which it will then become Medium Work
that may be required continuously (2/3 or more of the time), frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time) are noted below:
sitting, fine dexterity
balancing, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting
necessary in the performance of the essential functions of this position include: sight, hearing and touch.
that may exist in the performance of the essential functions of this job include Noise (need to shout in order to be heard) or rarely, work at heights (such as on scaffolding or ladders). The majority of the work day is spent indoors with no exposure to outdoor temperature extremes.