Under the supervision of the Veterinary Operations Supervisor, the Kennel Manager provides leadership, organizes and directs kennel operations.
- Coordinates with the Shelter Operations Administrator to plan for the long and short term needs of the shelter.
- Submits budget proposals and purchase requests as necessary.
- Interviews and is responsible for training new employees.
- Provides scheduled performance appraisals and counseling when needed.
- Develops and maintains skills through continuing education.
- Encourages skills development in subordinate staff through training and behavior modeling.
- Provides continuing education for employees as needed.
- Responsible for kennel equipment maintenance and supply inventory.
- Responsible for compiling daily and weekly kennel reports including kennel count, kennel inventory and euthanasia reports.
- Responsible for daily observation of animals in quarantine, maintenance of Rabies Log Book and Head to Lab Reports.
- Advises veterinary staff of any problems with quarantined animals.
Animal Care Duties:
- Maintains kennel sanitation and cleanliness standards in accordance with recommendations from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Coordinates with Harris County FPM for building repairs and maintenance.
- Communicates to his/her supervisor the status of shelter maintenance schedules.
- Advises supervisor when contract janitorial and lawn care services are not meeting standards.
Public Relations Duties:
- Responsible for the daily feeding, watering, and care of all animals in the shelter.
- Ensures that sick and/or injured animals are separated from healthy ones.
- Coordinates with veterinary staff to ensure the health of adoptable animals.
- Advises veterinary staff when animals show symptoms of a disease.
- Ensures that euthanasia is performed in a humane and safe manner.
- Ensures that all staff are trained, and certified if necessary, according to state laws.
- Ensures staff and volunteers are trained and are able to provide information to assist citizens looking for lost pets.
- Staff must portray a professional attitude and image at all times.
- Staff must be educated to counsel potential adopters on selecting the right pet.
- Staff must be able to provide basic animal health care education.
- Ensures photos and information are on the internet for each animal in the shelter.
- Handles complaints concerning kennel operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned; including special tasks involved in responding to an emergency event.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Must have successfully completed a euthanasia certification course.
- Certification must be maintained as required by Texas law.
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience that includes scheduling, hiring and evaluating employees.
- Two (2) years customer service experience.
- Two (2) years of experience working in an animal shelter or animal care setting.
- Intermediate skills in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
To qualify for this position, required experience, education and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use
any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or animal related science field from an accredited college or university.
- Experience in coaching & leadership.
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience that includes scheduling, hiring and evaluating employees.
- Six (6) years of experience working in an animal shelter or animal care setting.
- Experience with Chameleon shelter software.
- Working knowledge of Crystal reports.
- Canino Road - Houston, Texas
Additional Information - Core Competencies
- Will Be Discussed During Departmental Interview
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
- Understands the organizational mission.
- Understands ethics and public good; is concerned with public trust.
- Demonstrates respect for the opinions and beliefs of others.
- Demonstrates a sense of responsibility for the success of the group.
- Collaborates with others to improve quality and address needs.
- Establishes collaborative relationships and projects.
Interpersonal Abilities/Personal Characteristics
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Able to manage change.
- Adept at framing issues.
- Uses sound judgment.
- Organizes and maintains work environment to allow for maximum productivity.
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Written and verbal English competency.
- Able to read and follow directions.
- Understands cost-benefit analysis.
- Understands decision analysis.
- Able to conduct budget/fiscal analysis/financial management.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
- Understands spatial analysis (physical, social, economic, demographic).
- Understands systems analysis and design.
- Knowledgeable about project design and planning.