- Data Collection
St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care.
The Patient Access Representative is responsible for completing the registration process for all patients seen at St. Luke's University Health Networks Emergency Departments. The Patient Access Representative is required to project at all times the image of the network as a customer focused organization. He/she will assist all customers (internal and external) by providing accurate information, directions and handling any requests in accordance with hospital policy. This includes, but not limited to the data collection and accurate entry of all patient information into the appropriate Epic application, focusing on insurance verification, transcribing orders and point of service cash collections. Patient Access Representatives will communicate effectively with all hospital departments, and follow through until patient treatment is admitted, transferred or completed. Emergency Department Patient Access is a required 24/7 function.
The intent of this job description is to provide a summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this position, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Greets and directs patients and visitors for the entire facility to provide friendly and courteous services at all times. Monitor and inforce visitor policy for the entity.
2. Dispense appropriate information and answers questions regarding the facility and its services.
3. Communicate effectively with all departments to meet customer needs. Responsible for patient flow and through put for the Emergency Department and after hours/weekend Outpatient testing.
4. Answer the telephone with the appropriate scripted greeting, in a timely manner, assist and/or direct the caller to the appropriate person or department. Call department clinical staff and communicate all health concerns, chief complaints that require immediate attention.
5. Access Epic and accurately (minimum of two positive patient identifiers) enters information necessary to create a Hospital Account Record (HAR) and complete detailed demographic and specific clinical service information.
6. Communicate timely with Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and department clinical staff during all trauma and ambulance arrivals. Create an accurate Hospital Account Record (HAR) or arrive the patient anonymous, following proper protocol quickly for clinical staff.
7. Accurately record in hospital computer system clean and concise notes to track patient account activity and to communicate for downstream claim processing.
8. Responsible to refer all self pay patients to onsite Medical Assistance vender timely.
9. Maintain knowledge of current insurance regulations, trends and network policies. Responsible for contacting insurance companies to verify patient benefits when applicable.
10. Verifies all insurance/self pay through online eligibility. When online eligibility is not available for the insurance, responsible to verify benefits via insurance website.
11. Responsible for identifying, collecting, and recording out of pocket liability, co pays and/or deductibles when applicable at time of registration. Posting credit card payments in Epic, collecting cash, closing the daily cash drawer, and preparing deposit for transport.
12. Responsible to accurately transcribe all outpatient testing orders, both written and electronic for all after hours and weekends.
13. Maintain a working knowledge of policies and procedures pertaining to registration.
14. Demonstrate efficiency, familiarity and to complete all required competencies within Epic and other required hospital applications used to complete functions of the position.
15. Responsible for sign in registry for vendors and clergy, providing churches and clergy information when needed.
16. Supports the department with new hire training (Preceptor) including volunteers.
17. Provide other hospital departments and physician offices with information or materials related to Network registration processes.
18. Provide St. Lukeâ€™s Hospital with data and documents necessary to generate a clean registration/claim by conducting in-person or telephone interviews with patient after their clinical services are complete. Process supports clean claim processing and patient satisfaction.
19. Responsible to immediately resolve minor patient/visitor issues and inform Patient Access leadership, Department Nurse Manager or Nursing Supervisor of any significant patient and visitor complaints.
20. Responsible for monitoring, investigating and completing patient accounts in all department work queues.
21. Responsible for completing Important Message from Medicare, and Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice signature processes.
22. Responsible to collect all loose clinical paper documentation. Analyze, sort and batch scan to Health Information Services twice daily.
23. Complete all required annual competencies including E-Learning assignments on or before due date.
CULTURE OF EXCELLENCE BEHAVIORS
1. Maintains confidentiality of all materials handled within the Network/ Entity as well as the proper release of information.
2. Comply with Network and departmental policies regarding issues of employee, patient and environmental safety and follows appropriate reporting requirements.
3. Demonstrates/models the Networkâ€™s Service Excellence Standards of Performance in interactions with all customers (internal and external).
4. Demonstrate Performance Improvement in the following areas as appropriate: Clinical Care/Outcomes, Customer/Service Improvement, Operational System/Process, and Safety.
5. Demonstrate financial responsibility and accountability through the effective and efficient use of resources in daily procedures, processes and practices.
6. Comply with Network and departmental policies regarding attendance, dress code and Benefit time.
7. Demonstrate competency in the assessment, range of treatment, knowledge of growth and development and communication appropriate to the age of the patient treated.
8. Demonstrate competency with Downtime procedures for the Hospital Information System.
9. Demonstrate familiarity and competency with multiple language translation systems, including TTY, ATT and Cyracom for all patients with hearing impairment/deafness.
10. Provide assistance to coworkers during peak times and covers for vacation, holiday and sick time.
11. Maintain a working knowledge of Network Revenue Cycle policies and procedures.
12. Demonstrate and models the hospitalâ€™s core values and customer service behaviors in interactions with all customers (internal and external).
Please complete your application using your full legal name and current home address. Be sure to include employment history for the past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you are encouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications and licenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!!
St. Luke's University Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.