Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
The Gaming Group in Microsoft’s Corporate, Legal and External Affairs (CELA) department has an immediate opening for a Senior Paralegal to support our 1st Party Gaming business. The 1st Party Gaming business is the team responsible for developing and publishing Microsoft’s great first party games, including Minecraft, Halo, Forza and Gears of War. This position will be based in Redmond, Washington.
In this position you will provide broad legal support for the overall Gaming businesses, including supporting the various gaming studios in game development and publishing, merchandise licensing, inbound licensing of 3rd party content and intellectual property (IP), and securing and clearing the necessary rights for bringing first party game titles into our Game Pass subscription and xCloud streaming services. Typical matters that you will support include reviewing, drafting and negotiating game related contracts and Statement of Work (SOWs), in addition to directing and counseling clients on a wide range of diverse issues relating to the development, marketing and publishing of game titles for use and distribution on Microsoft and third party platforms. This role will also require you to interface directly with procurement, privacy, and business development (BizDev) for supporting gaming clients in the acquisition and inbound licensing of third party content and IP rights necessary for developing and publishing our 1st Party game titles. You will also be responsible for helping to drive efficiencies and improvements across our CELA team, including the managing and updating of licensing templates, development of game related playbooks, coordinating client education programs and training materials, and in driving consistency and compliance among the various studios on relevant legal and Microsoft policy compliance areas. In this role you will be required to regularly work with outside counsel and other CELA colleagues around the world to support the development and acquisition of game content and will have frequent contact with many levels of Microsoft managers and employees, with emphasis on driving front line client support and project management of key initiatives.
Successful candidate will be a self-starter who is detailed and results-oriented, with outstanding organizational skills and the ability to drive cross-group projects involving diverse internal teams and cultures. Strong communication skills and demonstrated ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment, prioritize workflow and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations. Agility to navigate a diverse organization and obtain inputs from stakeholders in a productive and timely manner.
We are looking for people who are passionate, enjoy being part of a team and have a sense of humor.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications:
- 7+ years experience in paralegal, contract licensing, or relevant area OR Bachelor's Degree with 4+ years experience in paralegal, contract licensing, or relevant area
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 5+ years relevant in-house experience
- Interpersonal Flexibility - The ability to adapt one's behavior to different people and situations, while recognizing, acknowledging and understanding different perspectives
- Analytical Thinking - The ability to collect information and identify fundamental. patterns/trends in complex data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources; use information to generate insights; and make decisions.
- Record Keeping - The ability to create and maintain complete, accurate and reliable evidence of logs, records, paperwork, and other required information. This includes the ability to create and manage adequate records of business activity; operate recordkeeping systems; and maintain archives and historical records.
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand the parts of the business and their interrelationships. This includes skill in understanding the industry, competition, and expected future developments and challenges, the business's competitive strengths and weaknesses, opportunities to grow the business and reduce operating costs; and awareness of the environment for opportunities.
- Legal Solutions - The ability to develop legal solutions for clients. This includes identifying legal issues and risks, consulting with internal and external counsel, and evaluating alternative solutions.
- Legislation Awareness - Knowledge of current legislation as it relates to the company and the ability to maintain an ongoing analysis of the impact of such developments on internal practices and products.
- Legal Proceedings - Knowledge of legal proceedings, legal terminology, and the implications of court rulings. This includes the ability to integrate one's own expert knowledge into useful information for internal and outside legal counsel.
- Paralegal Tools & Procedures - Knowledge of procedures, processes, tools and methodologies used within department/practice area.
- Contract Support - The ability to draft, review, and negotiate commercial agreements.
- Legal and Regulatory Issues - The ability to work with subject matter experts to interpret laws and regulations and apply them to the technology and Microsoft environment.
- Legal Reading - The ability to read and understand complex legal documents. This includes the ability to interpret legal documents and apply to the business needs.
- Legal Drafting - The ability to draft new and edit existing legal documents.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.