- Medication Administration
Janus of Santa Cruz has provided the highest level of care for the past thirty-five years to individuals and families seeking treatment for alcohol and/or drug dependencies. Located a block and a half from the beach, Janus is a state-licensed and CARF certified non-profit offering residential detoxification, residential stays, day treatment, outpatient counseling, perinatal services, and medication-assisted treatment. Janus is a field leader in utilizing the very best treatment practices and sharing our knowledge through conferences and training. Join our energetic, engaged, and highly respected team in making a difference in people’s lives!
Visit us at www.Janussc.org
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Nursing Services Coordinator, dispenses methadone as ordered by the Medical Director. Provides nursing care to Janus clients in residential, Perinatal and Special Care Units.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess patients’ condition on a daily basis.
- Bottle count at end of every shift; cosigned by another staff member.
- Complete all documentation in an accurate and timely manner.
- Coordinate courtesy coverage and transfers for patients.
- Coordinate dosing for incarcerated patients; deliver medication when needed.
- Coordinate dosing for patients in residential treatment; deliver medication when needed.
- Demonstrate understanding of the pharmacology and physiologic effects of methadone.
- Dispense methadone as ordered by the Medical Director.
- Input data regarding dose changes, Steps, and Medical and State Exceptions.
- Maintain accurate dispensing and inventory records of methadone as mandated by Title 9, Title 22, CARF, DEA and CSAT protocols.
- Maintain compliance with all Title 9, Title 22, CARF, DEA and CSAT regulations.
- Maintain confidentiality of Clinic records and privileged information.
- Receive new patients on intake days, instructing them on dosing procedures and expected effects of medication, especially in the first 5 days following intake.
- Report all Medical Incidents to Nursing Services Coordinator, Medical Director, or Program Director.
- Report any unusual occurrences to the appropriate staff.
- Respect and protect the Human Rights of patients.
- Demonstrate competence in use the Tower system of dispensing and inventory control.
- Demonstrate competence in the use of the manual dispensing system.
- Demonstrate understanding of emergency dispensing procedures.
- Complete nursing assessments of clients in Perinatal, SCU and residential programs.
- Screen and test for TB, providing referrals as appropriate
- Conduct health education classes for clients and patients
- Administer medications to clients in residential, perinatal and SCU programs
- Call prescriptions to pharmacy according to M.D. orders
- Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) or RN with experience in a clinical setting, knowledge of chemical dependency.
- Experience in dispensing methadone preferred.
- Understanding the pharmacology and physiologic effects of methadone is desirable.Working knowledge of applicable portions of Title 9 and Title 22 is desirable.
Job Type: Full-time
- dispensing methodone: 1 year (Preferred)