Operating across 11 states, Tallgrass is a growth-oriented midstream energy operator with transportation, storage, terminal, water, gathering and processing assets that serve some of the nation’s most prolific crude oil and natural gas basins.
We were named to Colorado’s Top Workplaces list for the past four consecutive years. Tallgrass strives to create an environment where all employees feel they are safe, respected, that their contributions are valued, have equal access to growth and development opportunities. Our Total Rewards Package is comprehensive and competitive - designed to meet the needs of our employees and their families. We offer our employees competitive base pay; an annual discretionary bonus; paid time off for vacation, sick time, holidays, birth or adoption of a child, serious illness, and bereavement; Health, Dental, and Vision insurance; a generous 401K savings plan; company-paid Life insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability insurance; Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts; Employee Assistance Programs; Identity Theft Protection; and Critical Illness and Accident insurance.
ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL-REGULATORY PRIMARY PURPOSE:
Act as the Company's lead internal lawyer on all matters related to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Interstate Commerce Act (ICA) and other applicable energy regulations, with a focus on internal commercial efforts for the company's natural gas and crude oil pipelines. Reports directly to the General Counsel.
ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL-REGULATORY ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL-REGULATORY MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Serve as primary internal legal resource in setting company regulatory strategy on greenfield infrastructure projects (i.e., the Seahorse Pipeline Project) and other commercial transactions, including drafting and overseeing significant commercial transactional agreements such as Precedent Agreements and Transportation Service Agreements for interstate natural gas and crude oil pipelines.
- Prepare, review and negotiate other various midstream commercial agreements such as transportation, storage, interconnection, precedent, processing, operational balancing and product sale and storage agreements for natural gas, crude oil and natural gas liquids assets.
- Provide legal and strategic advice on other company regulatory matters relating to the FERC and the ICA.
- Provide drafting and representation regarding compliance with applicable FERC tariffs, regulations, orders, policy statements and standards of conduct. Assist with filings and postings when needed.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, other internal meetings and meetings with customers, investors, partners, other third parties, FERC and/or state commissions as requested by management.
- Facilitate and oversee outside counsel and expert witnesses in FERC proceedings involving natural gas, crude oil and liquids pipelines, including rate, tariff, certificate, complaints, declaratory order petitions and other filings.
- Draft pleadings, prepare regulatory applications, interpret FERC orders, rules, regulations and policy statements and prepare comments or responses to proposed rulemakings or inquiries of FERC.
- Able to work independently as a self-starter and balance competing demanding deadlines.
- Work well in a team environment and assume leadership of large regulatory projects.
- May be asked to support and contribute to a wide variety of other legal matters on an as-needed basis.
- Deal with a wide variety of people with tact, courtesy and professionalism.
- Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high level of verbal skills and listen carefully.
- Maintain a regular, dependable attendance and a consistently high level of performance.
- Will work non-traditional hours as needed.
- Maintain a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
- Other daily, weekly, monthly or special project duties as identified and defined.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited institution.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES & REGISTRATIONS:
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant legal experience and excellent command of FERC rules, regulations and procedures relating to natural gas pipelines, crude oil pipelines and general midstream business.
- Experience working in highly regulated energy pipeline, or other midstream energy business environments.
- Strong experience related to commercial and litigation matters in the oil and gas industry.
- Previous experience with midstream commercial agreements such as transportation, gathering, storage, interconnect, processing and product sale agreements.
- Experience supporting natural gas or crude oil pipeline and midstream businesses and ability to work closely with internal and external accounting personnel.
- Intermediate proficiency level in MS Office applications that may include but are not limited to Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Must be licensed to practice law in the U.S. and eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar or practice pursuant to the state’s single-client counsel rule, C.R.C.P. 222.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the Company and its insurers (for travel).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes.
- Ability to write clearly and effectively.
- Proficiency with relevant legal research tools, including FERC’s eLibrary, CCH, and Lexis.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Must be able to perform all essential and marginal functions of the job.
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from management, adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules.
- Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks with strict deadlines.
- Ability to organize and prioritize daily work.
- Job level commensurate with experience and skill sets; position will be filled depending on qualifications, experience and skill sets of the successful candidate.
All of the physical requirements listed below are those that may be necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting; standing; walking or moving throughout facility; driving; talking; seeing (specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus); hearing; feeling; bending or stooping; squatting or crouching; reaching; kneeling; pushing; pulling; lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Minimal safety hazards; general office working conditions.
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to type, touch, handle, or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Required to carry a cell phone and be available to respond during working and non-working hours.
- The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, including credit report for certain positions, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, & ABILITIES (Above the minimum requirements; not required but advantageous in this position):
- Top 25% of graduating class preferred.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
Tallgrass Energy, LP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status. EOE/M/F/D/V