Petasense is a San Jose, CA based startup company that makes an IoT based plug-and-play asset reliability and optimization (ARO) system. The Petasense ARO system includes wireless IoT sensors and integrated machine learning software that can help manufacturing plants monitor and optimize the performance of a wide range of critical equipment. These include rotating assets like motors, pumps, compressors, turbines and fans and non-rotating assets like valves, steam traps- and electrical panels.
With the Petasense ARO system, plants can eliminate unplanned downtime, reduce maintenance and repair costs, improve safety and extend the life of critical assets.
Petasense has been selling its ARO system for close to 3 years and today we service over 30 Fortune 1000 clients. Our clients are in power generation, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, metals and mining and critical facilities.
About the job
We are looking for an experienced mechanical reliability engineer to take full ownership and responsibility for highly reliable performance of our IoT Sensors. They would need develop and implement test methodologies to increase the reliability of existing and planned Petasense products. Existing Petasense products include the Vibration Moteand the Transmitter. The Mechanical Reliability Engineer shall be responsible for qualification and verification of components and subassemblies to system level. The test area stretches across a variety of mechanical and electronic assemblies, requiring experience with diverse test methods and equipment. This role requires interaction with multiple cross-functional teams and test facilities, local and international, and across multiple simultaneous products in varying development and production stages.
What’s in it for you?
- An opportunity to work in a rapidly growing startup amidst really smart yet humble team members who will challenge you (in a positive way) to be the best you can be
- Work on a wide variety of things that truly matter to Petasense and its customers.
- Ability create impact in a very important market - digital transformation of manufacturing is a mega-trend.
- Solve practical real world engineering problems
- Contribute to the development of Requirements, Specifications and Validation documents for Petasense IoT sensors.
- Design functional test fixtures and jigs for calibration and testing of Petasense products from an ME perspective
- Support Petasense CMs by troubleshooting mechanical engineering issues during production batches (related to mechanical performance and box-build process)
- Track and diagnose field failure issues and trends and develop solutions and provide feedback to Petasense stakeholders
- Support test efforts in collaboration with laboratory test personnel for certification, compliance and troubleshooting field issues; prioritize, ensure timely execution of tests and ensure consistent quality of failure analysis
- Help Petasense scale its reliability test efforts to help support growth from low volumes to mass production in a fast and efficient manner.
- 5+ years in a mechanical reliability engineer role or equivalent for consumer or industrial products
- BS/MS in mechanical engineering or equivalent
- Have previous experience with testing of electronics and mechanical assemblies, evaluation of material performance a plus
- Experience in sensors and instrumentation, data acquisition of temperature, vibration, load, strain and voltage using bench top test equipment or custom solutions
- Expert knowledge of accelerated life testing theory and methods (development, planning and execution); practical HALT/HASS background strongly preferred.
- Able to design, direct and conduct Design of Experiments (DoE)
- Experience in operating typical test equipment (oscilloscopes, chambers, vibration tables etc.) and their typical profiles, including test automation development and data acquisition
- Solid project management skills
- Some experience writing scripts in Python/MATLAB or programming in LABVIEW
- Experience in or knowledge of plant rotating machinery like Pumps, Motors, Compressors,
- Expertise in industrial certification for e.g. - Class 1 Div 2, UL, NEMA 4x, IP rating
- Proficiency in using 3D CAD tools (for e.g. SolidWorks, NX, ProE, or equivalent)
- Any experience in 3d printing prototypes
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00 to $120,000.00 /year
- Reliability Engineer or Mechanical Engineer: 2 years (Preferred)
- San Jose, CA 95113 (Preferred)