For over 30 years, the Kentucky Lottery has earned more than $6.4 billion for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Our mission is fueling imagination and funding education for all Kentuckians. For nearly two decades, the largest chunk of proceeds – over $4.4 billion, has gone to fund programs to help Kentucky students stay home and attend college. We have continued to break records – earning over $1 billion in sales every fiscal year since ‘17 to continue to support these important programs.
We want to make winners out of our players, retailers, college students and our employees. We are looking for the best talent to join our winning team.
Do you want to work for a company that was awarded a Best Places to Work in 2022 and 2021? Are you ready to fuel your imagination? If so, then we have the opportunity for you!
As part of the development team, identifies and recommends appropriate platform/technologies that best suit projects to support the company’s strategic plan. Delivers high-quality, reliable code, tests, debugs and assists in implementation of multi-platform, complex systems/applications used by the company. Fills role of Lead Architect or Lead Developer on IT projects. Learns computing environments used by the company and uses the learned knowledge to provide support to the development team and other department users. Provides technical expertise and guidance in the areas of computer capabilities, systems design, programming, and problem solving. Designs applications with security mindset with clear understanding of segregation of duties.
Handles multiple assignments and prioritizes workload. Assists in the education and development of less experienced IT personnel.
- As a member of a project team, provides senior level technical knowledge including performing coding, testing, and debugging of complex tasks. Assists in the development of technical specifications that include new technologies. Software development may be on platforms unfamiliar to less experienced staff.
- Collaborates with stakeholders, systems development, quality assurance and other IT unit resources throughout project life cycle. Converts business process requirements and stakeholder concepts into technical solutions.
- Lead developer/architect for IT initiatives and guides the IT team through the design, development, and implementation of such initiatives. Provides technical input during the planning phase of projects in the form of technical architectural design. Provides feedback to company leadership regarding status of project lifecycle.
- Follows IT project methodology and development standards. Firm understanding of both Agile and Waterfall practices and advocates for when to apply each. Provides technical expertise to stakeholders.
- Provides insight into current technology advancements and trends to facilitate IT direction setting. Provides senior Java developer expertise to develop and support innovative technical solutions to business problems. Develops standards and guidelines on the use of new technologies. Trains IT staff on the use of new development techniques relevant to the environment.
Incumbent must possess the following combination of knowledge, skills, and experience:
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business or related field of study.
· Five years’ programming experience and five years’ experience as a programmer/analyst in combination with some college level study may be substituted in place of degree.
· Two years' supervisory or team leader experience.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience developing technical specifications.
· Minimum of 5 years programming experience.
· Sophisticated understanding of applications software, higher level programming languages, and familiarity with fourth and fifth generation languages that involve client/server development.
· The ability to support data communications and help implement electronic commerce and intranet strategies.
· Minimum of four years’ experience in OO design of Java/J2EE applications and object-oriented models.
· Incumbent must have a strong working knowledge of systems analysis, as well as database structure and design in addition to a solid understanding of project methodology and the systems development life cycle.
· Responsibilities have significant business and financial impact on the company requiring interaction, communication, and understanding of the enterprise-wide company requirements with all levels of personnel.
· Ability to work independently and efficiently on several tasks at once.
· Must be self-directed and self-motivated.
· Ability to provide reliable information and communicate easily with persons at all levels, including senior management, internal business units, software developers, Quality Assurance, and other IT units.
· Must be able to work on projects with aggressive timelines and be flexible to changing priorities.
· Ability to share knowledge with others and work effectively within a team environment.
Accountable for timeliness and quality of all deliverables.
This position may oversee and review the work of other IT staff and external consultants.
- Office environment/hybrid according to KLC policies
- Travel – Minimal
- After hours on-call rotation
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Standing or sitting: Frequently
- Moving: Occasionally
- Reaching, writing, fingering, typing: Continuously
- Talking and/hearing: Continuously
- Seeing: Must be able to read reports, documents and use a computer: Continuously
- Sitting for long periods of time: Frequently
We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package including medical, dental, vision, wellness program, health savings account, flexible spending accounts, company paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, company paid short-term and long-term disability, voluntary benefit plans, generous paid time off plans, retirement plans – including 401(k), 457(b), IRAs, and a money purchase retirement plan in which the company contributes a portion of your base pay.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Louisville, KY 40202: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Programming: 5 years (Preferred)
- OO Design Java: 4 years (Preferred)
- Supervising: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location