At WSP, we are driven by inspiring the right people to be part of our future-focused business objectives. Our devotion to teamwork has allowed us to build communities and expand our skylines. Here at WSP, anything is within our reach- and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP has an opening for a Public Information Specialist to work in the Florida Turnpike offices in Ocoee, Florida. The position will support, assist and offer guidance to the program in public involvement, public information, outreach and communications. The selected candidate will also join a talented group of other WSP communications professionals supporting the Turnpike program.
The position is part of WSP’s national Communications & Public Involvement Practice. This is an exciting opportunity to join our national team of talented communications and public outreach/public information professionals.
The primary responsibilities of this position are as follows:
- Research, proof for accuracy, and seek approval to respond to a variety of media requests in a timely manner as assigned by FTE Public Information Manager.
- Research and help resolve issues pertaining to planning, maintenance, tolling, Right of Way and other departments at Florida's Turnpike (FTE), as assigned.
- Research and write News releases as assigned for Florida's Turnpike and SunPass.
- Help maintain and contribute to the FDOT/Turnpike 'Stock Response Library to help maintain consistency and accuracy in all messages conveyed to the media and the public.
- Promote agency programs by establishing, developing and maintaining contact with media, professional and civic organizations and other special interest groups.
- As directed, prepare speeches, agency newsletters, brochures, broadcast scripts and other agency informational releases; coordinates major public relations for the agency.
- Coordinate and participate in public meetings with various neighborhood groups or other FTE stakeholders as assigned.
- Review Daily news coverage, pull and post any news pertinent to Florida's Turnpike. Keep Turnpike leadership informed of daily news items of interest.
- Develops special educational and promotional materials for presentation at meetings and conferences.
- Represent agency at civic and professional groups.
- Organize and prepare for various special events, groundbreakings, grand opening ceremonies and public meetings as assigned.
- Serves as project leader for special public relations projects.
- Research, writing and vetting of various social media posts for FTE (Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Research and write in AP style for website and various newsletters as assigned.
- Participate in web design or web development as necessary.
- Serve as liaison between FTE and the community.
- Reply to emails and letters from the public on behalf of FTE, FDOT and the Governor's Office.
- Respond to customer phone calls and assist with the Turnpike's toll-free customer service line.
- Liaise with Production, Construction, Communications and Marketing and others as necessary.
- Assist and provide support to FTE's Roadway Maintenance, Traffic Operations and Right of Way staff with customer issues and complaints.
- Assistance to FTE Executive leadership as requested.
Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Marketing or related field.
4+ years of related marketing and communications experience in public information and communication for transportation, design or construction projects
Experience with graphics programs, such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher
Ability to work well with the public and interact effectively with all organizational levels, including senior management
Ability to meet deadlines and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
Ability to exercise a high level of discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information
Must have outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
Must work effectively with teams and demonstrate initiative
Superior organizational and creative skills and a high attention to detail
Web design or web development
Experience working on Florida Department of Transportation projects
Bilingual (Spanish and English) and translation services
Public involvement training from Florida Department of Transportation
About WSP USA
WSP USA (formerly WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff) is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms—WSP. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the transportation, buildings, energy, water and environment sectors. With nearly 7,000 people in 100 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com/usa
WSP provides a progressive mix of benefits including medical, dental 401k and long term disability focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be a key piece in our meeting client objectives, goals and challenges, are you ready to get started?
EOE / Veteran/ Disability/ Gender/ Minority/ Female/ Gender Identity/ Sexual Orientation
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
The selected candidate must have the ability to work in the United States immediately.