University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine
Department of Medicine, Medical Oncology
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Nature of Work:
The (School of Medicine) Division of Medical Oncology is now hiring for a full-time research position with benefits, now seeking applicants for an experienced Professional Research Assistant (PRA), working within a secured GU cancer research laboratory at the Anschutz Medical Campus located in Aurora, Colorado. The PRA is a highly-detailed research position with the professional
field of Oncology and will work with lab research and executes projects related to Oncology/Molecular Biology with oversight. The successful candidate will work as a collaborative and flexible team member receive supervision and direction on starting or stopping research projects, assessing results at interim
time points and in regular lab meetings from the Lab PI, Thomas Flaig, MD. Other supervision and guidance will come from other faculty members in the Flaig Translational research laboratory including from the laboratory director, Lih-Jen Su.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position is for a PRA in a genitourinary (GU) cancer translational
lab. The position will primary involved in collaboration with the PI and other faculty members within the lab. Some examples of PRA job duties could include the following:
- Animal related research including using xenograft and other in vivo models in the study of cancer and development of cancer therapeutics.
- Planning and performing experiments of various biological assays: ELISA, Incucyte and flow cytometry; cell proliferation and apoptosis assays; basic molecular techniques including RT-PCR, cDNA preparation, transfection of mammalian cells; analysis of mRNA and protein expression.
- Planning and prepare samples for RNA sequence, proteomics and metabolic analysis.
- Histology slides analysis using microscope.
- Conduct literature searches for the relevant projects.
- Training of laboratory personnel in experimentation techniques.
- Ability to analyze data independently and meet designated research deadlines.
Willingly accepts additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by
management. Performs other related research duties
and procedures, including special research projects as directed.
This position will not provide formal supervision of other employees. Summer students and medical trainees (fellows, residents, medical students etc.) may work in the lab at interval times and the employee may need to provide informal guidance to these individuals on an intermittent basis.
The PRA position requires 100% effort working
within the secured research laboratory at the Anschutz Medical Campus. This position is exempt and not eligible for overtime compensation.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator:
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The minimum qualifications required for this experienced PRA position are:
- Bachelor's degree education in appropriate scientific field (Biology, Chemistry or related sciences)
- At least 5 years of laboratory-based work is strongly encouraged for seasoned candidates using the above described higher level research laboratory techniques.
- Past experience in a biomedical research lab is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A Master's Degree is welcome.
- Previous work in the translational cancer research lab is highly valued due to the focus of the current position.
- Proficient with MS Office software including Outlook) preferred.
- Must be team-oriented, flexible, able to communicate and
motivate collaborative partners; must possess ability to
work independently and effectively to develop new techniques; be self-motivated; demonstrated successful planning and management skills in behavioral research and/or research projects.
- Ability to develop new techniques and methods through literature searches and work effectively to assure rapid research progress.
- The PRA position involves strong qualitative analysis skills, health and public health research experience, must be detail oriented and have excellent written and oral communications skills and strong word
processing skills including internet and electronic mail capabilities for University of Colorado business only.
Application Materials Required:
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 17232
When applying, applicants must include:
A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
A current Resume/CV
The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process.
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.