Recruitment/Posting Title Public Safety Dispatcher
Job Category Staff & Executive - Security and Public Safety
Department IPO-Police Department
Under the direction of a University Police shift supervisor, assists with the operation of the Division of Public Safety Telecommunication Center in Rutgers University Police headquarters. Receives and coordinates all telephone communications including E 911 system, radio requests from Police, Fire EMS, Parking Services, Security Officer Division, Student Safety Patrol, mounted and bike patrols, Facilities Maintenance and Housing personnel when necessary
Position Status Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
Annual Minimum Salary 18.170
Annual Mid Range Salary 18.670
Annual Maximum Salary 19.230
Standard Hours 40.00
Union Description OPEIU 153
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility PERS
Minimum Education and Experience
Applicants should have a high school/vocational school diploma or equivalent, and two years of working experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Applicants should be able to type and demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate in English when faced with tense or crisis situations.
Set by the State of New Jersey, by the Office of Emergency Telecommunications Systems, before any individual may work on and E 911 Control Center they must be certified in the following training courses:
- Basic Telecommunicator Course – a 40 hour public safety training course in compliance with N.J.S.A. 52:17C and the Administrative Regulations, N.J.A.C. 17:24 experience.
- Emergency Medical Dispatch – a 32-hour course which adheres to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations (NHTSA) National standard curriculum.
- American Heart Association Provider B, or American Red Cross Community CPR-Basic Life Support – 8 hours
- NJCJIS Operator Certification – Certification by TAC officer to train operator on use of CJIS manual and guides training and proficiency affirmation.
All certifications have mandatory recertification.
- ADDITIONAL TRAINING
- Training on in-house Computer Aided Dispatch, CAD
- Occasional training day required
Applicant must pass criminal background investigation through the New Jersey State Police. Applicant must be available to work a variety of shifts, including weekends and holidays. Occasional overtime is required. This is a uniformed position.
Radio communications and computer knowledge is helpful, but not required
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Standing, sitting, walking, talking and hearing. No special vision requirements. Lifting up to 25 lbs.
Posting Number 18ST2965
Posting Open Date 10/15/2018
Special Instructions to Applicants
Regional Campus Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Home Location Campus College Ave (RU-New Brunswick)
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.