COMPANY OVERVIEW: Good Samaritan Health Center of Cobb, a 501(c)3 non-profit Federally Qualified Health Center, opened its doors in 2006 with a mission “to spread the love of Christ by providing quality healthcare to those in need.” The Center was co-founded by Reverend Grant Cole, pastor of Connection Point Church and Dr. Jack Kennedy, Director of Cobb & Douglas Public Health after recognizing that medical bills and unexpected dental emergencies were the root cause of financial hardship, family instability, and diminishing quality of life in the community.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for providing professional dental hygiene care to clinic patients under supervision of dental staff.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Volunteers and Hygiene Students, as needed.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Dental Director
DENTAL HYGIENIST RESPONSABILITIES:
- Responsible for providing professional dental hygiene care to clinic patients under supervision of dental staff.
- Fulfill the clinic’s mission to spread the love of Christ through quality healthcare to those in need while providing appropriate physical, emotional, and spiritual care for the whole person.
- Assesses patient's general condition and takes appropriate vital signs.
- Assists dentists with examinations, diagnostic procedures and treatments.
- Provides dental hygiene care to patients including prophy, scale, curettage, root planning, polish, fluoride treatments, take study models/identification models as needed, expose, develop, and mount X-rays.
- Ensures appointment preferences are given to patients in emergency situations.
- Fulfills patient documentation responsibilities which may include: reviewing medical history and updating in the chart, charting findings from an oral cancer exam, charting dental conditions including decay, restorations, and missing teeth, charting gingival conditions including bleeding, recession, and missing teeth, checking schedules and organizing patient flow. Relays all findings to the Dentist and the patient.
- Documents all activities/interventions, patient/family responses, medication dispensed/prescribed, etc., in the medical record, sends and obtains patient medical/dental records if needed.
- Promotes wellness by providing patient education materials and communicating dentist’s advice / instructions. Educates patient on brushing tongue and teeth, flossing, rinsing, gum disease, and nutrition.
- Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned which may include: setting up instruments and equipment according to clinic protocol, cleaning exam/procedure rooms and instruments between patient visits to maintain infection control, cleaning sterilizer according to scheduled maintenance program, ordering, sorting and storing supplies to restock exam/procedure rooms, changing x-ray processor solutions on schedule, sharpening instruments, reporting any repairs that are needed.
- Adheres to infection control, safety protocols per OSHA guidelines, and confidentiality policies per HIPAA guidelines.
- The job holder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to job position.
DENTAL HYGIENIST QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum 2-3 years RDH experience, public health experience a plus.
- Bi-lingual Spanish speaking preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited RDH program.
- Knowledge of professional dental hygiene regulations and practices to give and evaluate patient care
- Knowledge of policies and procedures related to infection control, environmental safety and patient confidentiality.
- Knowledge of dental chart reporting/records.
- Ability to work effectively as team member with dentists and other staff, communicating clearly and effectively.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and complete delegated tasks.
- Ability to appropriately interact with patients, families, staff, and others.
- Ability to flexibly respond to changing demands, and react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to demonstrate compassion and caring in dealing with others in a way that supports the Center’s mission to spread the love of Christ through quality healthcare to those in need.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $30.00 - $32.00 per hour
- dental hygienist: 2 years (Preferred)
- Dental Hygienist (Preferred)