Follow Your Calling, Find Your Career
Please Apply By: Tuesday, November 28, 2023
Pay starts at $20.00/hr.
This is a non-exempt (hourly) position. Pay rates are based on education, skill, experience level and internal equity. Internal equity considerations include an assessment of the applicant’s qualifications in comparison to the market rate and requirements for the job.
At Mecklenburg County, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are with support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. We’re counting on YOUR unique voice and perspective to help Mecklenburg County become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
Did you know that Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation proudly hosts many community events each year? Hummingbird Festival, The Senior Games and Festival in the Park are just a few that our employees and residents look forward to every year! Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department (MCPRD) strives to enrich the lives of our residents. We do this by providing exciting and safe recreational amenities and programs, change to improve our resident’s fitness levels and decrease health care costs. This contributes to a sense of community through events and spaces for the public to socialize, thereby increasing property values and providing tourism venues. We protect open space, natural areas, and our treasured tree canopy through stewardship. We play a critical role in ensuring Mecklenburg County achieves its vision that the county “will be a community of pride and choice for people to LIVE, WORK and RECREATE.” The department serves a population exceeding one million residents and serves the City of Charlotte, six towns, and the unincorporated areas of the county covering 523 square miles. In addition, the department manages over 21,000 acres and 230+ parks, nature preserves, greenways and facilities. The Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation Department is continually recognized for its cutting-edge programs, state-of the-art facilities and unique partnerships. Our success is rooted in our staff. If you are interested in joining a dynamic team, dedicated to building a better community, and being recognized as leaders both in our community and across the country, then Mecklenburg County has great opportunities for you.
Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation is looking to add a Park Ranger to the team in our South Region! The selected candidate will serve as the face of the Park and Recreation department and provide high visibility, public safety and security enforcement to parks and recreation facilities. This position will also ensure compliance with County ordinances, policies, rules, and regulations. Typical hours will vary based on business needs, but will require nights, weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts. This full-time, benefited position comes loaded with medical, dental, paid time off, sick leave, as well as pet insurance just to name a few of our great benefits. This is an excellent opportunity to make a difference and grow with Mecklenburg County!
Region Specific Information: The South Park Region covers the parks, greenways, and nature preserves to the south of Interstate 85. A few of the parks within the South Region are McAlpine Creek Park, Marion Diehl Park and Elon Park. The South Region Ranger will also monitor access to Lake Wylie at Copperhead Island boat ramps and park/preserve accesses throughout the Region. The South Region is also home to the Mecklenburg County Sportsplex in Matthews, which has a multitude of athletic events throughout the year.
By applying to this position, you are eligible to be considered for a similar role, in which you meet the minimum qualifications for, at other Park and Recreation locations should they become available. If you are looking to grow in your career, or transition laterally into a new role, don't miss this opportunity to apply!
- Customer service experience
- Security experience
- Operations experience
- Patrol parks and recreation facilities for compliance with County ordinances, rules, policies, and regulations
- Provide assistance and information to visitors
- Enforce park rules and regulations
- Open and/or close assigned parks and facilities
- Conduct routine inspections of grounds, facilities, and recreational areas
- Control inventory of supplies; distribute equipment to various sites as needed; distribute financial supplies to collection sites
- Assist booth attendants with money, collections, banking, protection, and compliance issues
- Maintain park areas including but not limited to trails; clean and disinfect shower areas as needed; maintain picnic areas and restrooms; and pick up trash in parking areas
- Prepare daily paperwork, correspondence, and reports on activities; and maintains files and records
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of experience, preferably related to the position
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
Combination of relevant experience and relevant education accepted? N/A
Licenses/Certifications: Requires a valid North Carolina or South Carolina’s Driver’s License and the ability to obtain County Driving Privileges; Completion of departmental swimming, boat, and special vehicle operations within 90 days of employment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Laws and regulations
- Emergency and safety operations
- Good customer relations, communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective problem solving, decision making and organization skills
- Read plans and develop comprehensive safety and security plans for each County facility and knowledge of cost estimating needed to ensure tasks are completed according to specifications
- Building Partnerships: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units or organizations to help achieve business goals
- Collaboration: Working effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships
- Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the information provided
- Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions
- Planning and Organization: Establishing courses of cation for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently
- Stress Management: Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In addition to a competitive salary, Mecklenburg County offers a generous benefits package which greatly increases your total compensation. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, short term disability, long term disability, accident, cancer, critical illness, medical bridge and pet insurance; dependent care, healthcare and commuter flexible spending accounts; health savings account; paid holiday, vacation and sick days; near site clinics for preventive care and illnesses; an employee discount program which provides discounts for retail, dining, shopping, travel, tickets and more; an employee assistance program including financial and legal counseling; access to Mecklenburg County fitness and aquatic facilities; paid family leave; tuition reimbursement; a 5% employer match on retirement savings plan contributions and a defined benefit plan for retirement.
Works outdoors in varying weather conditions
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS STATEMENT
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, requirements or working conditions. Other duties may be assigned based on business need and the supervisor’s request. Mecklenburg County reserves the right to revise the job description at any time. Designated positions may be required to assist in emergency and/or disaster situations.