Job Title: Service Delivery Technology Lead
Regulation, Compliance and AFC Technology
About Deutsche Bank
We are Germany’s leading bank with strong positions in Europe and significant presence in the Americas and Asia Pacific. We’re driving growth through our strong client franchise, investing heavily in digital technologies, prioritizing long-term success over short-term gains, and serving society with ambition and integrity. We serve our clients’ real economic needs in commercial and investment banking, retail banking and transaction banking, and provide ground-breaking products and services in asset and wealth management. That means a career packed with opportunities to grow and the chance to shape the future of our clients.
Within Deutsche Bank’s Group CIO Division sits the Regulation, Compliance and Anti-Financial Crime Technology group which is responsible for the provision of technology for the Regulation, Compliance and Anti-Financial Crime (RCA) group.
The RCA group protects the integrity and reputation of Deutsche Bank. They manage the Bank’s risks and help to avoid unintentional rule breaches and conflicts of interest. At the same time, they also advise us on ethical conduct and governance issues and keep our organization up-to-date on regulatory and political challenges.
The Anti-Financial Crime (AFC) group is responsible for protecting Deutsche Bank from financial and reputational losses incurred by financial crimes by assessing, controlling and mitigating risks. Risk types related to Anti-Financial Crime are consolidated in a comprehensive and effective risk management framework that covers Anti-Money-Laundering, Sanctions & Embargoes, Anti-Bribery & Corruption as well as Anti-Fraud & Investigations.
Working closely with all key divisional businesses, as an independent and robust second level control function, the Compliance Department seeks to manage compliance risk and deepen the culture of compliance at Deutsche Bank through the development and management of strategies that are sustainable and increases the trust of our clients.
The Regulatory Affairs group has a range of responsibilities, including:
The RCA Technology group provides technical solutions mainly with the purpose of the detection and prevention of potentially criminal or inappropriate activity by our clients, employees, and vendors, including provision of solutions for:
- Deliver early awareness on regulatory developments, coordinate group policy positions and build Deutsche Bank’s profile in regulatory policy debates and engage constructively with regulatory stakeholders
- Deliver regulatory perspective to strategic decision making and provide oversight and control over implementation of key regulatory initiatives;
- Drive the simplification of Deutsche Bank through the definition, implementation and oversight of the group legal entity and booking model, and contribute to the bank’s resolvability in light of Deutsche Bank’s strategic objectives
- Market Abuse Surveillance
- Transaction Monitoring
- Client Screening & Risk Rating
- Employee Surveillance
- Sanctions Screening
- External Fraud
- Regulatory Interaction
- Data Lake / Analytics / Holistic Surveillance
- Case Management/Workflow/MIS
- Architecture & Innovation / R&D
- With the specific purpose of the technical solutions:
- Reduction of Operational Risk
- Technology to support more efficient and effective controls
- Improved controls enabling reduction of operational risk charge and usage of banks resources for revenue generation
- Proactive – forward looking for regulatory impact
- Ensuring global and cross-divisional compliance
- Divisional Integration of Controls:
- Integrated platforms across L1 / L2 controls
- Provision of reference data required for improved detection capability
- On-boarding of inappropriate clients
- Integrated sanctions screening capability to prevent payments to sanctioned clients
- Advanced external fraud detection capability to detect and block potential fraudulent transactions real time
- Inappropriate behavior from our employees including information barrier issues and prevention of employees trading when not appropriately certified
- Advanced model calibration techniques to ensure effectiveness of all surveillance models
- Advanced detection capability for inappropriate behavior and potential money laundering by our clients and/or market abuse by our employees
- Holistic surveillance analytics to link multiple risk indicators to produce more advanced detection capability
- Advanced risk scoring and profiling to highlight potential higher risk alerts
- Integrated case management and workflow platforms to ensure access to all information needed for efficient investigations
- Use of innovative and leading edge technology to support more advanced detection capability and controls
- Lab facility to quickly prove value of new technology
An exceptional technologist is required to lead the RCA Technology Sustainable Data Controls initiative to enable DB to obtain DFS 504 Certification.
The data management control system will be focused on data completeness, integrity and quality controls for data that is being passed on to AFC for transaction monitoring purposes. The solution is intended to be extensible to cover data for different business lines (i.e., CIB, PWCC, AM, GM), different regions (e.g., EMEA, APAC), and different AFC processes (i.e., name list screening and transactions filtering).
The key to success in this area is the ability to be well grounded in both the business products and the target technologies and the ability to build a team of like-minded and similarly talented technologists.
The role will include design and development responsibility for the highest priority and technically challenging projects in the RCA area. The initial focus of this role will be to provide technical leadership in the delivery of existing commitments before progressing to build leading edge platforms required to transform the RCA technology landscape over the next 2 years.
You will be responsible for the design and delivery of many of the key components needed to deliver baseline capabilities as well as the technology implementation of the future state platforms to transform the RCA business into an industry leader.
You will be required to work closely with the development teams, business streams as well as the architecture group.
The role will entail:
Essential Technical skills:
- Managing / running a team of highly skilled engineers
- Working closely with relevant business heads to understand and guide business requirements, solution vision, & execution planning
- Working closely with the CIO for Strategic Platforms and Head of Architecture and R&D to develop the next generation components within the Target State vision for the platform
- Ensuring software development within RCA New York S POD follows best practice tools and methodologies and is delivered using all relevant bank
Preferable Technical Skills:
- Proven track-record of successful IT project delivery to high-pressure clients
- Extensive experience coding with various languages - Java essential and Python highly desirable, others (C, C++, C#, R, Q, etc) desirable
- Extensive experience practicing Agile and Test Driven Development
- Extensive experience practicing Continuous Integration and Delivery
- Sound understanding of the electronic trading environment and the technology stack including storage, networking, messaging and hardware
- Can demonstrate the ability to thrive within a dynamic, fast paced environment with short delivery cycles and changing requirements
- Must have excellent communication skills and able to work with developers in remote regions
- Experience of working in a robust technology environment with a clear appreciation of software development best practices and change control procedures
- Relevant experience and interest in algorithmic, machine learning, and AI technologies is extremely advantageous
- Understanding of the different architectural design patterns
- Understanding of data architecture and protocols
- Ability to develop code to stringent non-functional requirements
- Ability to conduct functional analysis of requirements
- Ability to lead IT development teams both directly & via influence
- Sophisticated communication skills to operate with senior business managers
- Personal organization, completer/finisher, consensus building
- Understanding of AFC an advantage
- Thorough understanding of the wider technology landscape, emerging technologies and able to understand and communicate how they apply to the business domain and existing platform
- Working understanding of IT security and how it applies to application design, implementation and operation
- A strong understanding of the process of building applications, the technical environment within which they operate, the processes required to successfully manage their day to day operation and their ongoing maintenance and capacity planning
- Understanding of SOA & high-level IT architecture
- Management of multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience of automation of quantitative tasks E.g. machine learning
- Operational experience in an IT line function or relevant business area
- Proven track-record of development experience in a high-pressure, fast-moving environment E.g. with a leading consulting firm within financial services or an International investment bank and able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the front to development lifecycle
- Solution orientated & pragmatic with sensitivity to business needs & requirements
- Ability to understand the detail but also able to take a big picture approach
- Proven knowledge of IT technical processes and IT implementations
- Has demonstrated superior problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Desire and commitment to “make a difference”. Dynamic and willing to challenge the status quo
- Proactive, with drive and energy. Ability to deal with continuous change & manage conflict
- Good interpersonal, leadership and influencing skills. Able to influence without authority. Commands respect through actions
For candidates applying for positions in the US:
Deutsche Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.