The Center for Proteomics and Molecular Therapeutics in the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science welcome application for a full-time Research Assistant/Associate. The University encourages applications from individuals belonging to groups underrepresented in their field and those that can add new and valuable perspectives to the academic environment. The Research Assistant/Associate will assist with NIH funded research. Will help carry out studies to further elucidate the roles of gap junctional proteins, calcium activated chloride channels, and other mechanosensitive ion channels in the lens under physiological and pathological conditions. Studies include: patch clamp experiments on lens fiber cells; calcium imaging studies; and two-microelectrode-voltage-clamp studies on Xenopus oocytes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Perform various laboratory tasks including buffer preparation, autoclaving, ordering supplies, laboratory cleanup. Help maintain mouse breeding colony. Harvest lenses from wild-type and transgenic mice for organ culture, vibratome sectioning and cell dissociation. Dissociate fiber cells from mouse lenses for patch clamp experiments and/or defolliculate and inject Xenopus oocytes with cRNA. Conduct electrophysiology and imaging experiments under supervision. Maintain laboratory notebook. Analyze/report data.
Required Education & Experience
- BS in biological science or engineering
- 6 months-1 year of previous lab experience.
- Must achieve a background check clearance.
Required Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Must have a strong work ethic, excellent hand-eye coordination, and be able to pick up new techniques quickly.
- Must have effective written and verbal communication skills and experience with common computer software such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- BA/BS in Biological Sciences (or equivalent) with one or more years of laboratory experience.
- Previous experience in cell biology or electrophysiology.
- Experience in handling mice or other small animals.
Typical Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.