The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation - the world's leader in the search for a cure for cystic fibrosis, and one of the most innovative and successful organizations of its kind - is seeking a Electrophysiology Scientist at our Lexington, MA location.
Assume a leading role in the electrophysiological assay/screening group. Manage and carryout mammalian primary and non-primary cell culture experiments including primary human bronchial epithelial cells, execution of low to medium throughput electrophysiological assays (Ussing chamber and similar) on semi-automated robotic platforms, data processing, QC and data analysis. Manage a team of highly motivated scientists and assume responsibility for timely execution of team projects, operational excellence, and quality data and analysis. Prepare and present work at internal meetings, to external collaborators, and at scientific conferences. Ensure the integrity of all critical data and the timely upload of data into database.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze/summarize data generated by the team and ensure complete documentation of cell culture work and functional assays as well as timeliness of critical record keeping/countersigning, and integrity of all critical data (60% of working hours).
- Provide/implement effective workflow solutions.
- Hands-on supervisor of all the work in the electrophysiology group. This includes actively carrying out cell culture work and functional assays (40% of working hours).
- Ensure electrophysiology performance goals are clearly laid out, feasible and on target.
- Responsible for orientation, training, day-to-day mentoring and professional development of direct reports.
- Conduct annual performance reviews.
- Additional Responsibilities**:
- Participate in national Great Strides and related events organized by the Foundation to help people with CF.
*K**NOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: *
- *Ph.D. in life sciences*and 3+ years of experience with (mammalian) cell cultures and electrophysiological techniques in academic or biotech/pharma laboratories.
- Multiple peer-reviewed, publications demonstrating a profound knowledge in membrane biophysics.
- Track record of generating data of high quality, proficiency in statistics, and excellent presentation skills.
- Detail oriented, good mechanical and trouble-shooting skills to prevent, identify and fix failures that fall within the scope of duties in a small dynamic team.
- Strong analytical and communication skills (verbal and written) are a must and prerequisite for communicating data to senior management, scientific community, collaborators and vendors
- Leadership/management competence to efficiently carry out supervisory role, handle multiple tasks, prioritize and organize workflows to ensure timely and accurate work.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word,
- Excel and Access plus software for scientific data processing and plotting.
Reports to Fellow Scientist and supervises three to four scientists in the electrophysiology group including Ph.D’s.
Job Type: Full-time