Payroll/Staff accountant performs important accounting functions with oversight and administration of biweekly payroll, GL reconciliation, review and ensure payroll is correct, free of errors and follows internal controls. Performs other accounting functions such as reconciles balance sheet accounts, assists with variance analysis, tracks prepaid expenses and accrued liabilities, maintains fixed asset and depreciation schedules, assists with month-end and year-end closing procedures, prepare a bi-weekly payroll, and other accounting related duties as needed.
Ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and knowledge of payroll administration and staff accounting functions working in a multi-state; multi location with fairly complex accounting processes.
- Reconcile and assign GL coding to employee reimbursement requests.
- Maintain tracking for prepaid expenses, accrued liabilities, and deposits.
- Maintain asset and depreciation records and make necessary journal entries to record asset acquisitions and dispositions and depreciation expense.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts.
- Prepares bi-weekly payroll and all related payroll reports.
- Processes garnishments, payroll related claims, overtime hours, employee withholding changes, retirement plan deductions, and other payroll related transactions.
- Maintain payroll files.
- Reconciles payroll and benefit accounts in the general ledger.
- Assist with GL trend and variance analysis to identify and resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Assist with month-end and year-end close procedures.
- Assist with processing and recording daily receipts.
- Assist with bank deposit preparation.
- Assist with tracking tenant rents and receivables.
- Assists with the year-end independent audit. Includes preparing schedules, locating documents, and answering questions related to the staff accountant duties.
- CPA or CMA certified or at least 50% completed in course certification work
- Bachelor degree in accounting preferred
- At 3 years general accounting experience in private corporate accounting environment.
- At least 2 years of payroll administration experience preferably with ADP
- Previous experience with accounting systems. Experience with Compeat accounting systems preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Teams, Outlook, project, Sharepoint
- General accounting practices (GAAP).
- Payroll administration practices
- Tax administration
- Highly detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to meet constant stream of deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with different levels of employees.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Familiar with accounting software and programs.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Ability to communicate effective and appropriately.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrate good judgment in determining what to communicate to who