Position Title: Communications Intern, Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed
Department: Government Relations
Location: Trenton, NJ
Reports to: Outreach & Communications Manager, Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed
Job Classification: Temporary, Part-Time, hourly, (15 hours/week or less)
Start Date: Immediate
End Date: August 2018 (tentative)
Job Description: The Communications Intern will work with the Outreach & Communications Manager and Project Director to advance the goals of the Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed by effectively using communication tools and completing other projects as needed. The Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed unites non-governmental organizations working in the Delaware River Watershed and enhances their capacity to effectively advocate for protecting and restoring the Delaware River Basin by coordinating on policy, actions, and messages to foster accountability at the federal, state, and local levels.
Learning Objective: The candidate should have an interest in media relations, marketing, writing, nonprofit communications, social media management, public relations, or related field. The Communications Intern will learn about conservation policy and how to effectively communicate complex issues in a clear manner. The Communications Intern will also learn how to communicate with the public using social and traditional media, and the overall communications/public relations needs of nonprofit organizations.
- Assist internal and external communications on behalf of the Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed, including digital messaging, member engagement, and media relations in coordination with the Outreach & Communications Manager.
- Produce a variety of digital communications including blog posts, calendar/website updates, social media content, and e-newsletters.
- Work with the Outreach & Communications Manager to prepare press lists, press releases, letters to the editor, and opinion pieces.
- Identify media stories and relevant current events that can be leveraged to support the organization’s work and outreach efforts.
- Attend meetings as requested by supervisor.
- Participate with Center staff to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations at the Center.
- Assume additional responsibilities as needed.
- Graduate student or upperclassman in an accredited four-year undergraduate program or anyone seeking to further their professional experience in nonprofit communications/public relations.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet deadlines and needs of the organization, including availability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a motor vehicle in NJ.
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces as needed for outdoors events and lift up to 25 lbs.
- Superior writing and research skills.
- Social media competency (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Excellent internet and computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite. Graphic design and/or website design experience a plus.
- Knowledge of environment, conservation, and water-related issues a plus.
- Interest in policy and/or legislative processes a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Organized self-starter able to work independently in the execution of his or her responsibilities while collaborating with other organizations in various coalitions.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
- Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
Start date: Immediate
End date: August 2018 (Tentative)
Application Deadline: Open until filled
To Apply: Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and a short writing sample (maximum 4 pages) as a single PDF document
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Internship