The Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) invites applications for the position of Library Technician. This position performs technical and specialized clerical duties in one or more assigned functional areas of acquisition, circulation, periodicals, or cataloging in a library or learning resources center.
Note: Only the first 250 applications will be accepted! Once the limit of 250 is reached, only applications from current active employees will be accepted until the filing deadline.
- Performs technical work in the acquisition of books, media, and other library materials by searching journals, catalogs, vendor websites and databases, and other resources for bibliographic and order information; preparing orders for the purchase of all library materials; contacting vendors to obtain information, expedite orders, and follow up on problems; processing invoices for payment; receiving and checking orders; maintaining files.
- Performs technical work in the cataloging process by searching reference and electronic sources for cataloging and classification information; transferring or updating minimal or interim-level cataloging records; transferring descriptive information from online or digital sources; adding items bibliographic records; maintaining files based on cataloging routines; assisting with inventory; mending books and other materials; performing all necessary steps to prepare materials for use.
- Performs technical circulation work by creating and updating user records; performing book searches and placing holds; establishing and maintaining library routines for overdue notifications and collection of fines and replacement fees; preparing and updating materials and book records.
- Performs technical periodicals work by maintaining records of periodicals received; updating periodicals holding list; processing periodicals; processing invoices; claiming issues not received; and contacting vendors or using vendor databases to follow up on orders and problems; and performs all necessary steps to prepare periodicals for use.
- Provides technical assistance to librarians with orientations, bibliographic instruction, and information competency labs, classes, and/or workshops as needed.
- Fully utilizes software available through the integrated library system such as the on-line acquisitions, serials, cataloging, and circulation systems.
- Operates library and office equipment such as microfilm/fiche readers/printers, copiers, computers, printers, scanners, and related equipment.
- Provides customer service such as answering and directing telephone calls, responding to on-site and electronic inquiries, directing reference and research questions to the appropriate librarian, assisting library patrons with directions and general library information, explaining library, media, and learning resources center policy and procedures, locating, retrieving, charging, renewing, and receiving library materials, and assisting library patrons in the use of equipment such as copiers, microfilm/fiche readers/printers, computers, printers, and other related equipment.
- Utilizes standard office software applications to prepare correspondence, reports, and data/information summaries concerning library services.
- Processes intra-library loan requests by gathering or receiving library materials and distributing the materials to the requestor.
- Shelves, shelf-reads, and shifts books and other materials.
- Maintains files and records.
- Assists in preparing bibliographies.
- May provide work direction and training to Library Assistants and student employees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Los Angeles Valley College
The hiring list established by this examination will also be used to fill future vacancies as they occur during the life of the list.
- Medical and dental insurance and vision care plans are provided for employees and their dependents.
- A $50,000 life insurance policy is provided free of charge for each employee.
- New employees receive 12 full-pay days and 88 half-pay days of illness leave.
- At least 15 paid holidays per year.
- Vacation days accrue annually beginning at 10 days and increasing incrementally to 24 days depending on years of service with the District. Vacation days for management and confidential positions begin at 15, 20, or 24 days.
- Other paid time off includes: bereavement leave, personal necessity leave, court subpoena, and jury duty.
- Employees become members of the Public Employees Retirement System. Employees are also covered by Social Security.
- Employee Assistance Program
Minimum Requirements for Acceptance of an Application
Education and Experience:
A. Graduation from high school or its equivalent AND two years of full-time paid library clerical experience.
B. Graduation from high school or its equivalent AND successful completion of three core courses in library media technology from a recognized college or university AND one year of full-time paid library clerical experience.
C. Graduation from high school or its equivalent AND successful completion of six core courses in library media technology from a recognized college or university.
For a complete job description including the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities associated with the position please visit our website.
The examination process may consist of one or more parts which may include a training and experience evaluation, written test, performance test, and/or oral interview.
Individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request, orally or in writing, an accommodation in the examination process. Documentation of the need for accommodation is
required solely for the purpose of establishing that the applicant has an ADA disability and that the
disability necessitates a reasonable accommodation. Typically, a recent letter from an appropriate
health care or rehabilitation professional which establishes that the applicant has an ADA qualifying disability, identifies the functional limitations as they relate to the testing situation, and
recommends/suggests the appropriate accommodation is sufficient. In order for appropriate
arrangements to be made at the testing site, a request for accommodation and required
documentation must be received by the Examiner of Record at least 3 days prior to the administration of the test.
Completed applications must be submitted through our online employment system by 4:00 P.M. on
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2018. Please note, once the limit of 250 is reached, only applications from current active employees will be accepted until the filing deadline. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. For a listing of other job opportunities with the Los Angeles Community College District, call our 24-hr job hotline, or refer to our Web Page.
How to Apply
Personnel Commission: (213) 891-2129
24-hr Job Hotline: (213) 891-2099
TDD: (213) 891-2408
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 7:30AM – 4:30PM
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $3,819.82 to $4,732.10 /month