Department: Housing, Economic Development, & Commerce
Division: Director’s Office
Full-Time/Part-Time/Seasonal: Full Time
Workweek: 9:00AM – 4:30PM (37.5 hours per week)
Salary: $40,000 - $50,000. Based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance and more.
The Department of Housing, Economic Development, & Commerce is looking for a high-level clerical assistant to assist with various clerical duties such as processing documents, filing, answering phones, sending emails and other duties dependent on the department’s needs. This position is often privy to confidential information and as such, requires diplomacy and discretion. The right candidate for this role should be able to act proactively, has a flexible attitude, and is able to ensure the efficient and smooth day-to-day operation of the Director’s Office.
· Meet and greet all customer walk-ins for the Department Director's Office and HED&C Offices on the 3rd Floor.
· Coordinates electronic scheduling of all meetings for the Director.
· Acts as a liaison between the Director’s Office and all Division Directors in setting and following Department procedures.
· Assists with all daily attendance matters such as attendance postings, printing and forwarding exception reports, balance & resolve accrual matters.
· Assists with the preparation of Partial Payment Vouchers for closings, such as learning to prepare, organize and make required copies when necessary.
· Prepares correspondence and memorandums, and scan files to maintain records.
· Reviews and checks assigned reports, applications, and other documents for corrections and completeness.
· Provides general, routine information in person and over the telephone; refers complicated or non-routine inquiries to appropriate staff.
· Answers phones and takes all messages for the Director.
· Assists in requisitioning, storing, and distributing office supplies.
· Aid in preparing, tracking and submitting daily attendance, as well as preparing and verifying payrolls.
· Prepares routine reports or assists in the preparation of reports.
· Maintains a log and date/time stamps all mail delivered to the Director and distributes to Division Directors in the Department
· Sorts, indexes, and files checks, cash stubs, vouchers, requisitions, and other materials, numerically, alphabetically, or according to other predetermined classification.
· May wrap and assemble packages for shipment by mail.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
*Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Skills: High School Diploma or GED.
· Competent use of computer software and applications, including Outlook and Office 365 applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), to share and retrieve information, and to generate reports and data as necessary.
· Knowledge of office routes, equipment, and practices.
· Strong written, verbal, and multitasking skills.
· Ability to carry out tasks quickly, competently and within designated time frame in a fast-paced work environment.
· Ability to make simple arithmetic calculations.
· Detail-oriented with strong recordkeeping and organizational skills.
· Proven ability to prioritize and complete tasks within a deadline.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to create and maintain positive and professional relationships with co-workers, supervisors, senior group leaders, and individual seniors.
· Ability to work independently, effectively, and prepare accurate information.
· Sort, index, file, and pull varied types of materials using an established filing system.
· High School or GED Diploma is a requirement.
· College degree is a plus.
· Bilingual (Spanish/English) is preferred but not required.
· Knowledge of Jersey City, local government, and/or real estate development/construction.
This is a Civil Service Job and you must eventually pass and qualify for the applicable Civil Service title.
To apply for this job with the City of Jersey City, please fill out our Employment Application at https://www.cognitoforms.com/CityOfJerseyCity1/CityOfJerseyCityEmploymentApplication
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $50,000.00 /year
- Clerical: 1 year (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Jersey City, NJ (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
Typical start time:
Typical end time: