The Morning Journal in Lorain, Ohio, is looking for a skilled, motivated multimedia journalist to join our staff full time.
We are looking for a strong writer who brings to the table a passion for the profession, who is willing to think outside the box on regular coverage, who is adept with multimedia, and who is comfortable digging in the trenches to give readers something unique on a daily basis.
This journalist will be expected to:
- File daily stories and features
- Present stories in an interesting, accurate and fair manner for publication
- File photos and videos as needed
- Stay in contact with key sources and develop new sources
- Work with the city editor on coverage priorities
- Work well under deadline pressure
- Conduct interviews in a friendly and professional manner
- Ensure spelling, grammar and syntax is accurate and correct in stories
- Work some weekends and holidays
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, communications or a related field, or commensurate experience in the profession
- Relevant experience includes news reporting and writing, shooting video, using social media, creating enterprising content.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong reporting, writing, organizational and story structure skills.
- Understands imperatives of emerging and existing platforms, including web, mobile and print.
- Contributes to a positive culture of teamwork and collaboration.
- Experiments with new digital tools and platforms.
- Has a vehicle, a valid driver’s license and the proper insurance coverage, and is capable of driving to assignments as part of work duties.
- Must submit 4-6 writing samples or link to portfolio with resume and application.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $13.00 per hour
Work Location: One location