Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of secretarial work and public contact for an assigned Department; employee may apply some independent judgment based on knowledge gained through experience in the performance of responsible duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Composes correspondence in accordance with standard policies; answers the telephone, interviews and screens callers; responds to inquiries and explains policies and procedures; arranges appointments; maintains office files.
- Reviews and checks documents, records and related forms for accuracy, completeness and conformance to applicable rules and regulations; processes documents and applications.
- Coordinates and maintains department travel and payroll; assists with purchasing, personnel, records, shipping, and other administrative and clerical activities.
- Prepares, types, and proofreads correspondence, technical documents, forms, records, and reports as assigned.
- Collects and compiles statistical and financial data and other information for inclusion into special and periodic reports.
- Acts as secretary to City boards or commissions, recording and transcribing the proceedings of the meetings.
- Enters data into computer systems; processes transactions, compiles documentation, and generates reports.
- Responds to requests for information within scope of authority.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
High School diploma or GED equivalent, and two (2) year’s clerical and computer experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- City policies and procedures
- Administrative regulations, policies and procedures
- The principles of record keeping and records management
- Reading, understanding and applying Department policies and procedures
- Data entry and mathematical calculations
- Operate a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software
- Effectively communicate, both orally and in writing
The City does not hire at the top of the range. Candidate may start above the beginning of the range depending on qualifications.