Grocery/Stocker Hourly Associate
The River Food Pantry is Dane County’s highest volume food pantry, offering free groceries, meals, and clothing to anyone who comes for help. We also provide a mobile lunch program for children and teens in low income neighborhoods surrounding the food pantry that operates on all non-school days.
The River feeds more than 1,000 Dane County families each week, sharing over 2.5 million pounds of food each year. Over $3.6 million in groceries and services are distributed annually. We also serve over 700 hot meals each week. When school’s not in session, The River Food Pantry also delivers lunch to kids in Madison’s north side low-income neighborhoods who might otherwise go without.
This position provides support to the general operations of the pantry, including but not limited to distribution of groceries and assisting with the mobile lunch program.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Display commitment to pantry mission and goals
- Procure items from warehouse area and arrange them properly on shelves
- Responsible for activities to ensure building opening, closing and daily procedures are completed.
- Handle product inventories and ensure that any item which is low in stock is procured as promptly as possible
- Provide support as needed, in all aspects of lunch service at neighborhood mobile lunch locations including but not limited to: food preparation, safe food handling, transportation, distribution and accurate record keeping.
- Maintain the pantry area in a clean, orderly, safe and secure condition; maintain correct temperature conditions for food storage and assure food service storage areas are in compliance with applicable laws, codes, rules and regulations.
- Assist with documenting accurate incoming donation weight
- Drive the pantry’s cargo vans and 20 -foot cube van for pickups from local wholesalers, grocery stores, schools, food banks, and other locations as needed.
- Assist with unloading, storage and inventory of grocery products arriving at the pantry.
- Help keep the client grocery shopping process flowing smoothly during pantry sessions.
- Comply with FIFO inventory practices in warehouse, coolers and freezers.
- Safely operate the pantry vehicles and equipment.
- Assist with transporting volunteers.
- Assist in unpacking cases of food and stock pantry shelves.
- Provide appropriate receipts to donors upon request.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license with safe driving record.
- Experience working in a warehouse or grocery store
- Must be able to work some evening and weekend hours, primarily Saturdays, for Mobile Lunch Program, as needed.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Must exemplify The River’s mission, vision and values being professional, courteous, positive and ethical in every interaction and task
- Ability to accept constructive feedback and use it to improve individual performance
- Strong work ethic with emphasis on integrity and accountability
- Ability to apply common sense and accurate judgement
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact and communicate clearly and demonstrate a professional demeanor in all interactions with clients, volunteers, and colleagues.
- Ability to build good working relationships and foster feelings of mutual respect with staff, volunteers and clients
- Ability to respect and appreciate the diversity of others
- Positive attitude with flexibility and willingness to assist others
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work with frequent interruptions
- Ability to work quickly with a high level of organization and attention to detail
- Self-directed, with the ability to perform independently with minimum supervision
Busy, fast-paced work environment; friendly atmosphere and people; position involves a significant amount of physical labor, requiring prolonged periods of standing walking, bending and stooping. Must have the ability to manually move and lift at least 50 pounds; Work involves considerable physical labor and exposure to weather conditions.
Salary and Benefits:
40 hours a week, some evenings and Saturday hours
2 weeks paid vacation, sick time and paid holidays
Medical, Dental, STD and Life insurance benefits
Pay starting at $13-15/hr., DOE
Thank you for your interest in employment with the River Food Pantry. Please apply by sending a cover letter, current resume and three references to: hr@ riverfoodpantry.orgYou will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.
The River Food Pantry, an equal opportunity employer, values diversity and is committed to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment as defined by federal, state and local law.
Job Type: Full-time