Responsible for complete operations, seven days a week, including all Holidays and ability to respond to all business needs while off property.
Cheerful, bright and brilliant leader with great listening skills who loves serving older adults. A successful Culinary Director will be hands on and will frequently be expected to cook. The Culinary Director is responsible for the overall operation of the Dining Services Department and for meeting or exceeding the Dining Services hospitality and service standards. Ability to meet budgetary guidelines, forecast necessary department needs, and train, supervise and manage all members of the Dining Services Team. Responsible for all front-of-the-house activity, including catering and special events. Works closely with food vendor to establish and update menu cycles that are compliant with state regulations and meet dietary and nutrition requirements for a variety of geriatric needs. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Leads and directs the work of others. Acts as cook, server, back of house or front of house employee as needed. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Purchase food, equipment and supplies within budgetary and/or PRD guidelines. Assure that groceries and supplies ordered are received and that vendor’s invoices are correct.
- Monitor food preparation methods, portion sizes and presentation of food in order to ensure that food is prepared and presented in accordance with residence needs.
- Adhere and enforce meals prepared are in accordance with company menu standards,
- Organize and direct dining service training programs. Assist in solving dining personnel issues, hiring of new team members and assisted in evaluating employee performance in dining.
- Ensure team member compliance to proper hygiene and sanitation per local and state health department rules and regulations and company policy.
- Establish and implement cleaning and equipment maintenance ensuring documentation is compliant with local and state health department rules and regulations and company policy: includes cleanliness of dining bathroom.
- Complete and submit timely and accurate food and supply inventories.
- Physically walk throughout the dining room at meal time to ensure proper meal delivery, assisting in clearing the table and engaging residents in feedback regarding the meal service.
- Support, communicate and assist in planning, purchasing and preparation of food service for special events, marketing promotions, and social activities; works closely with the Family and Resident Advocate, Salize Director, and Community Relations Director.
- Communicate with Executive Director and dietary consultant regarding areas for improvement and new ways to improve and provide highest quality meal service possible.
- Facilitate and document monthly Food Committee Meetings with submission to Executive Director. Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality, taste and prevention.
- Attend all required meetings and in-services and provides education as requested by Executive Director.
- Be observant and aware of any situation or occurrence in the community that may pose a safety hazard to residents of staff. Report such observation immediately to Executive Director assisting in corrective action where necessary.
- Perform job duties in compliance with company policy and procedures and state licensing regulations.
- Be available on-call 24 hours for emergencies.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Minimum of 3 years of prior food service in hotels, schools, healthcare or retirement living.
- Experience with large group cooking and planning.
- Demonstration of ability to establish long-term relationships.
- Interest in working with the older adult population.
- Strong computer experience including thorough knowledge of Word and Excel and ability to use or learn to use database software.
- Ability to travel locally to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Proficient in written and verbal English.
- Ability to work flexible schedules in 24 hour operation including weekends.
- Experience working with the older adult population.
- Five years of experience with staff supervision and food purchasing.