Philadelphia Academies, Inc.: We connect students to industry, and industry to schools. Philadelphia Academies, Inc. is a non-profit whose mission is to design and implement industry informed, career-connected learning strategies for schools that position young people for success in postsecondary education and the workforce. Founded in 1969 and rooted in the creation and implementation of Career Academies, PAI has expanded into a more diverse portfolio of career-connected services including Work-Based Learning (WBL), Career Pathways and Bridge Programming. By partnering with schools on one hand and Industry and Post-Secondary Institutions on the other, PAI seeks to support students and teachers as we envision a world where all young people have the skills, resources, and networks to reach their full potential.
Position: Project-Based and Work-Based Learning Specialist (Full-Time)
Reports To: Director of Career Pathway Strategies
The Project-Based and Work-Based Learning Specialist will focus on developing and supporting project-based and work-based learning (PBL/WBL) efforts in partner schools. The Specialist will train and support teachers in planning and implementing projects and will also serve as the liaison with business partners and outside agencies, coordinating trips, volunteer participation, and PBL/WBL efforts. Additionally, this person will work closely with PAI’s Career Pathway Specialist to assist with case management for PAI’s new Bridge Program as needed. The PBL/WBL Specialist must coordinate efforts within the Programs Team at PAI, working with school teams to support grant deliverables at partner schools, and to ensure that work is integrated and coordinated with other PAI and school efforts.
Project-Based Learning Training, Planning, and Implementation
- Design and deliver comprehensive training on PBL to teachers and administration in partner schools, assist school teams with establishing the framework for PBL in their classrooms/schools, and support expansion of PBL in partner schools
- Provide technical assistance and coaching on best practices surrounding PBL/WBL throughout project implementation, culminating in a time of reflection and evaluation with teaching teams and business partners to develop a cycle of improvement
- Provide support for teachers in curriculum standards mapping and cross-curricular planning to identify common themes for projects
- Assist teaching teams with the planning and management of the development of standards-based curriculum, instruction, and assessment plans and strategies
- Identify and plan extensions to in-school PBLs, including WBL opportunities, post-secondary education connections, and educational field trips
- Manage PAI project budgets and coordinate with finance on purchasing equipment and buses
Work-Based Learning Planning and Implementation
- Work with school administration and teachers to develop scaffolded WBL plans aligned with school needs
- Plan, organize, and deliver WBL workshops, field trips, and experiences for students
Business Partner Integration
- Work with PAI’s Business and Community Relations team to research, identify, and recruit industry experts related to project- and work-based learning experiences and internships
- Serve as the liaison between the school, PAI, and industry partners to ensure all partners have a quality experience
- Coordinate with PAI staff and teachers to identify students to participate in summer internships; Assist in collecting all internship-related paperwork from students, schools, worksites, partners, etc.
- Deliver summer internship preparation workshops at partner schools, and support Friday summer internship professional development sessions for students.
- Assist with case management for PAI’s new Bridge Program.
- Along with all PAI staff, support PAI’s annual fundraising event by being present at the after-hours fundraiser, helping with set-up, clean-up and other activities as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, Master’s Degree preferred
- Experience designing, organizing, and implementing PBL in a school-based setting
- Classroom teaching experience preferred
- Experience working with at-risk urban minority youth (grades 9-12) in a public school setting strongly recommended
- Project management and leadership skills, able to: create and execute project work plans; adapt positively to unexpected challenges; manage in-school service coordination/delivery; work within team and across teams; problem-solve; ensure project documents are complete
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking and listening
- Team player, effective collaborator
- Organized and detail oriented, able to manage multiple projects and track project data /outcomes
- Self-starter, independent worker
Please submit a cover letter with salary requirements, a resume and three professional references.
NOTE: Applicants MUST submit a cover letter with salary requirements to be considered.
Please, NO phone calls and NO walk-ins
Job Type: Full-time