The Maintenance Technician reports to the Property Manager under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor and performs general maintenance and repair to ensure apartment units and other property facilities are in good working order. Handles service requests for repairs and improvements of vacant apartments to a market-ready status. Works as a team participant along with the maintenance staff to ensure the community meets the quality maintenance standards set by the LYND’s Core Values.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receives requests for service maintenance, prioritizes work orders and handles each in the most efficient manner.
- Examines and diagnoses problems with heating, ventilation and air conditioning units for property facilities. Determines the best method to repair or replace all or part of the unit. Makes repairs and/or replacements according to standard. Performs preventative maintenance on HVAC units by replacing filters, cleaning coils, etc.
- Repairs and replaces furnished kitchen appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers. May contact an outside vendor to make more advanced or severe repairs or replacements.
- Performs minor to moderate-level plumbing repairs, replacements, and/or installations including repairing leaks and removing clogs in sinks and toilets.
- Performs minor electrical repairs and replacement of light fixtures and related items.
- Repairs locks and other miscellaneous items.
- May perform painting projects ranging from full interior painting of property units to minor touch up and repair of walls and woodwork.
Responds to resident service requests and concerns in a timely manner.
Assists the Maintenance Supervisor on special maintenance projects, i.e., preventive maintenance of building components and/or mechanicals.
- May perform “make ready” projects for the preparation of vacant units available for prospective tenants.
- Cleans carpets as assigned.
- May perform swimming pool maintenance or other facility and/or landscape projects to ensure property aesthetics meet or exceed standards.
- Adheres to safety and hazard communications programs, policies and procedures and maintains a safe work environment.
- Works irregular hours (evenings, weekends), including on-call and overtime hours, as required.
- Operates a motor vehicle to transport tools and materials between work sites.
- Attends and participates in technical training programs to maintain and enhance knowledge and skills.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
Represents the Company in a professional manner at all times, on or off the property.
- Assists other staff members as needed.
- Delivers various communications to residents as needed.
Works closely with management and maintenance staff in developing an integral team that effectively represents the quality and professionalism of the Company.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma/GED and one to three years of experience in facility maintenance and/or mechanical repair required.
EPA Type II or Universal and/or Pool Certification (CPO) preferred.
CAMT is preferred in Florida only.
Valid driver’s license from the state of residence required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Associate’s degree in a related technical or mechanical field preferred. Military training a plus.
- Understands and complies with Fair Housing laws and standards.
- Bilingual – Spanish is a plus.
Commercial maintenance experience with plumbing, electrical, and janitorial strongly preferred
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities.
Thorough knowledge of heating and air conditioning unit maintenance, trouble shooting, and repair.
General knowledge of the repair and maintenance of appliances, lighting fixtures, and plumbing.
Knowledge and skills to operate common and specialized tools for repairs and maintenance.
Ability to visually inspect units, grounds, and other aspects of the property to determine adherence to standards.
Skill and ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in writing with professionalism when interacting with tenants and property management.
Knowledge and skills to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
Customer service and problem-solving skills.
Ability to read, interpret and apply written instructions for repair and maintenance of equipment
Attention to details.
Computer/technical skills to operate mobile computing or communications devices.
Valid driver’s license.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often exposed to various outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with arms, hands and fingers; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. Occasionally lifts, carries, positions, or to lift 50 pounds individually and up to 100 pounds with assistance devices (dollies, hand trucks, additional persons). The working environment is typically in an outdoor setting, with an occasional need to leave the premises for business purposes.
The Maintenance Technician may work non-traditional hours, to include evenings or weekends in order to complete work. Employer may also require employees to attend company meetings and training programs; may require additional travel requirements outside of assigned community.
Property employees are required to comply with the company uniform policy. A copy of the uniform policy is provided on the first day of company employment.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and are subject to possible modification.