Full Job Description
IFF’s Real Estate Solutions provides high quality real estate and facility consulting for IFF’s nonprofit client base across our Midwest markets, with RES staff presence in the Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Kansas City offices. Led by the Senior Vice President, the department is comprised of Market Directors based in each market, overseeing client interactions and IFF’s client and programmatic strategy; Owner’s Representative (OR) and Project Manager staff, who serve as project and client leads delivering RES’ scopes of work across different sectors; and two Directors of Consulting Practice, who ensure quality and consistency of consulting and project delivery across all RES markets.
The two Directors of Consulting Practice, one for Facility Planning and one for Design and Construction, each works in close collaboration with Market Directors to ensure a quality and consistent culture of consulting, with Directors of Consulting Practice ensuring functional expertise and Market Directors responsible for market accuracy and client relationship development. The Directors of Consulting Practice work closely together to establish, revise, and impart excellence in IFF’s practice of consultancy, at a project, staff and departmental level, and to ensure a smooth transition of client delivery within in and between project phases.
Basic Job Function
The Director of Consulting Practice- Facility Planning will establish, refine, oversee, and train RES team members in a culture of “executing with excellence”. This position will ensure that Project Managers strive for and meet this standard of excellence across the IFF footprint, through onboarding, knowledge sharing, professional development, and direct project oversight. The IFF Project Management team currently includes seven staff members housed in the four different RES markets and may expand to 10 within the next 12-18 months.
This role will be responsible for the functional area of facility planning. While this role will not directly manage staff, the Director of Consulting - Facility Planning will review project work, educate, train, and coach the Project Management team in their client practice, including facility feasibility analysis, lease vs. buy analysis, site search and due diligence, predevelopment services to help clients align facility needs with program goals. This role will be responsible for messaging IFF’s standard of excellence in this area of work to the broader IFF organization. This role will primarily be internally facing, acting as a departmental consultant, but will occasionally represent IFF in key stakeholder, partner, funder, investor and client meetings to convey IFF’s practice of consulting excellence in facility planning work.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversees project development and delivery for facility planning projects.
a. Reviews and improves client deliverables (meeting agendas, development budgets and operating proformas for projects, client facility space needs, project schedules, client feasibility analysis presentations, architect and other vendor requests for proposals, and other relevant deliverables)
b. Provides direct feedback and coaching to the Project Manager at the project and client level, while not having direct management responsibilities over individual staff
c. Works with Market Directors to ensure project leads are managing RES client engagements to be executed within contract budget and schedule parameters.
d. Participates in internal and external project meetings and provides sector expertise, with a focus on school, early childhood education, and health care sectors.
e. Coordinates staffing and workload balance across the Project Manager team, with Market Directors
f. Interacts with clients on project engagements, as needed, to monitor quality assurance on staff performance at the project level
g. Regularly provides additional departmental capacity for client facing work in the absence of available Project Managers and Owners Representatives, including stepping in to lead projects during staff turnover, support staff on larger, more complicated projects, and support projects requiring sector expertise
h. Supports Market Directors and Project Managers on Programs/Initiatives in developing a scope of work and replicating scope delivery, especially across multiple regions.
2. Develops and oversees staff training and contributes to departmental professional development
a. Leads onboarding, training, professional development and career path definitions for the Project Managers at IFF
b. Plans, executes, and leads sector and functional area trainings for Project Managers
c. Leads and facilitates monthly Project Manager and some RES staff meetings for knowledge sharing and project review
d. Produces departmental and team performance reports for senior management
e. Contributes to ongoing departmental and organizational improvements as part of the RES leadership team
f. Contributes to departmental strategy on talent management, talent recruitment, and talent retention
g. Provides input to Project Manager performance reviews
h. Provides functional supports to team members in other departments
3. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Creates and maintains an environment where staff members are motivated and enthusiastic about performance of their work.
2. Develops, refines, and implements onboarding programs and training opportunities to match staff needs.
3. Continually seeks excellence and efficiency in consulting engagements and departmental operations.
4. Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge.
5. Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
6. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, peers and team members.
7. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create an inclusive, collaborative, collegial, and caring work environment.
8. High level of satisfaction with both internal colleagues and external contacts, as measured in part by client surveys
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
Education: Ten or more years of experience through combined educational or professional experience in one of the following fields is required: urban planning, management consulting, real estate development, non-profit management, finance, program management, construction management, or architecture. Preference will be given to candidates that have demonstrated knowledge and experience working in the specific business sectors of IFF. Preference will also be given to candidates that have knowledge and experience working in real estate development, construction management and/or architecture.
Previous Experience: Experience leading teams implementing and executing major projects and initiatives. Increasing responsibility and management and supervisory roles, with experience managing staff, a division or department operations is preferred.
Special Knowledge & Skills:
1. Experience working with consulting and client management that places a strong emphasis on a Trusted Advisor approach to relationship development
2. Knowledge of community development and nonprofit sector issues
3. Content area teaching, mentoring, training, or similar experience of colleagues, direct reports, supervisors, or clients preferred
4. Direct experience with real estate development projects, including design and construction management
5. Direct project management experience. Experience working with a team charged with implementing and completing multi-faceted projects
6. Analytical and strategic skills; ability to plan, manage and implement multiple complex projects
7. Familiarity and comfort with utilizing various software and web-based tools for work products and communications, inclusive of the MS Office suite, database programs, spreadsheet, and project management packages.
8. Strong financial, analytical, and writing skills
9. Professional experience working in an organization with multiple offices.
1. Regular travel (monthly or quarterly) maybe required to other IFF offices.
2. Walking construction sites.
3. Attendance at evening and weekend meetings and events may be required.
4. Based in or willing to move to Chicago or Detroit.
IFF values equity, diversity and inclusion as part of its mission to strengthen nonprofits and the communities they serve. IFF is an equal opportunity employer.
CONTACT TO APPLY