About the role:
Academic Approach is an educational services company whose name is synonymous with excellence, integrity, and innovation. We are driven by one mission: to academically support students, families, and school leaders in this ever-changing, never-boring, always thrilling assessment landscape.
We are currently seeking a passionate, motivated Controller to develop accounting policies and oversee all financial procedures of our company. As a Controller, you’ll monitor the company’s financial status, review quarterly and annual budgets and manage accounting transactions.. You will be ideally positioned to build upon our growth if you are a(n):
- Innovator: We understand that all great things start with a groundbreaking idea/strategy and are followed with diligent and collaborative execution and insight.
- Explorer: We relentlessly pursue the knowledge needed to shape and influence student and school performance.
- Problem-Solver: We are dedicated to finding concrete and actionable solutions to the education challenges facing students. We embrace difficulties with optimism and team work.
- Organizer: We prioritize all of our activities around what’s best for students and schools and organize our activities to turn great ideas into reality.
- Builder: We are committed to the success of the mission. We believe nothing should be done without purpose and a focus on the future.
- Collaborator: We collaborate with schools to understand the unique needs of their students so that we may tailor a customized solution to drive their student achievement.
The Position: Controller
This full-time, exempt role will be responsible for daily management of accounting functions. You will be guiding financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
You will report directly to the Vice President of Finance and will have a working relationship with the finance team as you develop the accounting team.
As the Controller, you will have the following job requirements:
- Manage growing accounting team
- Lead the timely and accurate management of the monthly close process, accounts payable, invoicing, accounts receivable, payroll, and consolidated financial reporting
- Streamline the monthly close process, standardizing reconciliations and journal entry templates
- Assist with the preparation of complex journal entries and reconciliations
- Support the development of the financial control environment and accounting procedures to ensure continued compliance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Monitor the internal control environment ensuring proper adherence to financial and accounting policies
- Prepare reports which summarize business activities to assist in performance review and strategic decision-making
- Act as primary liaison with third-party review agencies to support annual financial statement review
- Work with third-party tax specialists to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting/filing requirement
- Complete adhoc projects, as needed
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
- 10-15 years progressively-responsible experience in financial administration
- Preference will be given to candidates with the CPA, CMA, or MBA designations
- Experience in web-based software including Quickbooks Online, SalesForce, and Paycom
- Excellent organizational, administrative, analytical, problem-solving and communication skills
Compensation and Benefits:
Academic Approach offers very competitive compensation and a dynamic, collaborative, growing company environment. Benefits include health, dental, and vision benefits, up to 10 days of accruable PTO per year, personal days in addition to PTO, paid holidays, 4 half days per year, a flex work program after 90 days of employment, 401(k) participation with employer match after one year of employment, paid maternity/paternity leave, and a transit benefit program.
Job Type: Full-time