As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
Reporting to the Director Center Operations (UK or US), this position is critical in ensuring the implementation of the vision for the 24/7 Technology Operations Centre organizational unit. This position will ensure the delivery and support of IT Event, Incident and Request Management processes at Discovery ensure a culture of excellence and consistent service and supporting Discovery’s best in class distribution and infrastructure.
Highlights of the role
Utilizing strong cross-functional alignment, this position will be responsible leading unified “virtual” teams that will consist of members from multiple disciplines (Distribution Operations Network Operations, Enterprise Platform Operations, Digital Platform Support Operations and Security Operations) to form a dynamic technology focused team capable of providing monitoring all Discovery linear and non-linear output as well as supporting IT infrastructure. The support operation also leads Discovery’s response to all incidents within our infrastructure.
Organizational scope of Duty Operations Manager staff within either our London or Sterling, VA centers – circa 12 staff across multiple discplines In addition the role holder will line manage a group of between 6-7 staff within a functional group based on skill group (Distribution Operations Network Operations, Enterprise Platform Operations, or Digital Platform Support Operations) based in 2 locations supporting 50 offices and productions centers globally, each led be an Operations Center Director.
The position is keyl to ensuring organizational improvements, consistently maintain and improve our customer feedback system, and establish effective performance measurements to show successes and areas of opportunity.
This position is a mission critical role in leading GT&O’s global Technology Operations Centers. As a function it is the 24/7 Command & Control Hub for all our all Distribution and IT support services. Post holders will be expected to work shifts including weekends whilst regular night work is not required it should be expected that the post holder will need to work nights during certain events.
The centers are the point of contact and owners for an IT Major Incident Incidents and as Operations Center Director are responsible for the implementation of the IT Major Incident process and procedures for Global Technology & Operations and the department’s recovery plans. The centers are also the focal point of contact for an IT response in the event of an organization wide Major Incident.
This position is a member of the leadership team for Technology Operations and will guide the development of the team, and communicate the direction of the organization.
1. Day to Day support leadership for one of two centers, owning real-time Tier 1 and Tier 2 responses to active requests and incidents where needed. Lead a “virtual” center operation, to ensure the organization is properly staffed 24/7 across the two sites
2. Support the creation of an integrated technology support organization based on collaboration, best practices, standards, efficiency, and commitment to effective service delivery and responsiveness to the needs of the business
3. Drives continuous improvement to key metrics through process, system, and organizational refinements
4. Ensure that event, incident, major incident and problem management processes are implemented effectively
5. Acts as major incident lead when on duty. Is a focal point of communication to GTO and Digital leadership during a major incident. Vet potential critical outages, determine and prioritise status
6. Creation and ownership of multiple and trust wide business continuity reporting including disaster recovery
7. Reporting on serious incident status including customer notifications. Ensures communications are accurate, timely and messages for multiple audiences.
8. Responsible for the production of the post incident report and accountable for any remediation planning that results from lessons learnt
9. Contributes to root cause analysis reports and accountable for any remediation planning that results from lessons learnt.
10. Responsible for planning onsite cover during serious incidents, ensuring staff are directed to the correct area of focus
11. Works with the Engineering and Product Teams to ensure the contingency plans are kept up-to-date and available.
12. Planning onsite 3rd party presence during a serious incidents
13. To manage staff in a matrix organisation, particularly overnight as the senior manager onsite – supervising a wide range of staff in a highly stressful situation
14. To motivate and continually develop a good quality & customer focused Operations Center team
15. Motivate other teams through effective and proactive leadership techniques through stressful situations
16. Guide and mentor the Operations teams and user base in the event of serious incidents
17. Develops and implements effective maintenance and back up regime across systems and infrastructure
18. Maintains KPI and service metrics framework. Ensure service levels and targets are adhered to and corrective measures in place to maintain performance targets
19. Maintains skills and career path framework for centre staff. Ensures these are in place for all staff
20. Lead and deliver small to mid-size projects or organisational change within operations centre scope
21. Partner with relevant GT&O and Digital leadership teams on technology implementation. Ensure impacts on the department are understood and that mechanisms in place to manage these impacts and ensure service continuity
22. Partner with GT&O & Digital Sports and Olympics teams on for Sport Events and Olympic Games.
23. Responsible for implementing effective business continuity and disaster recovery plans for leads an integrated technology support organization based on collaboration, best practices, standards, efficiency, and commitment to effective service delivery and responsiveness to the needs of the business
24. Ensuring communications are accurate, timely and messages for multiple audiences
25. Working as part of a small team, ensuring efficient handover and seamless delivery of support
26. Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key business leads and senior stakeholders within the customer base
27. Develop and maintain strong working relationships across all IT disciplines
28. Develop and maintain strong working relationships across GT&O
29. Develop and maintain strong working relationships with 3rd party suppliers and outsourced service partners
30. Deputises for Director Center Operations as required
31. Hours are primarily office hours but may he required to cover an operations analyst shift e.g. during unplanned absence or during a major event such as Olympics
32. Any other responsibilities as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Broadcast Engineering, IT Management, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years direct management experience in the IT or Broadcast Support function
- 5+ years experience of working in one of more of the following areas: Distribution Operations, Platform Operations, Network Operations, Digital Platform Operations
- 5+ years’ experience in an Enterprise-level support environment. Experience in a service delivery environment and understanding of technical support processes and workflow
- Working knowledge of ITIL required. Foundation certification expected. Must be able to effectively communicate with owners of ITIL Disciplines (Incident, Problem, Change, Release, and Configuration) to provide effective IT support to the end-users.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills
- Strong organizational and conceptual skills
- Ability to multi task within related functions
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and retain staff
- Strong ability to demonstrate and execute professional communication skills to all levels of management
- Project management experience desired
- Strong critical thinking, analytic, problem solving, and decision-making abilities
- Ability to proactively communicate to senior leadership on areas of opportunity and a solutions oriented problem solver.
- Positive attitude and experience with motivating a team
- Ability to maintain focus in a high-pressure environment
- Able to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility, including flexibility in working hours to support employees and customers across multiple time zones.
- Experience in leading multiple IT support teams in multiple/global locations
- Experience of working for a Media Company/Broadcast is desirable but not essential
- Knowledge of local employment laws is beneficial.
- Must have the legal right to work in Europe for UK role or US for US based role.
Sterling, Virginia, VA