Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Senior Electro-Mechanical Controls Engineer - Surgical Robotics, R&D, located in Cincinnati, OH OR Mountain View, CA.
The Ethicon Surgical Care business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include: support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions; women’s health conditions; hernias; cancer and obesity.
The Ethicon Surgical Care business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. is based in Somerville, New Jersey and was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio and has innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
The Senior Electro-Mechanical Controls Engineer, R&D, will work with internal and external teams to develop highly articulated surgical instruments to interface with a novel surgical robot. This individual must collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market. The position is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, and implementing embedded control systems for surgical devices as well as inventing and developing embedded control strategies and leading architecture design to achieve solutions.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Controls Engineering or equivalent degree with 5 years of experience, or a master's in Electrical Engineering, Controls Engineering or equivalent degree with 3 years of experience, or a PhD in Electrical Engineering, Controls Engineering or equivalent degree with 1 years of experience, required.
- Specialization in modern and classical control theory (stability analysis, frequency and time domain analysis, continuous-and discrete-time systems, state space analysis), preferred.
- Experience in developing real-time embedded controls and model-based control system development for non-linear complex electromechanical systems.
- Expertise in system characterization and identification of linear and nonlinear systems, preferred.
- Solid understanding of electro-mechanical mechanism design (medical or surgical instruments is a plus).
- Expertise in the development of control algorithms (Model Based Design and C-code) to meet functional, regulatory, and functional safety requirements, preferred.
- Experience creating physical models of dynamic systems in simulation tools such as Matlab/Simulink to develop prototype, control systems and code-generation toolchains, required.
- Experience in the implementation of real-time embedded controls systems such as QNX, preferred.
- A strong background in robotics and motion control, preferred.
- Experience with multi-disciplinary engineering projects, including: integrating electro-mechanical sensors into mechanical designs, specifying and integrating embedded software that complements mechanical design, modeling and specifying the dynamic properties of mechanical systems for controls development, etc. preferred.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills. This engineer will be expected to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and with engineering teams and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing. Setting up and running laboratory simulations and test fixtures. Evaluating the stability, reliability, and performance of control systems.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, and designs for instruments, systems, and interfaces.
- Understanding of and experience with controlling robotic end-effectors, to include robustness analysis, calibration methods, performance evaluation, friction modeling, and the like.
- Demonstrated experience in definition, development, and commercialization of medical devices.
- A solid understanding of data acquisition and network communication systems (CAN, CANOpen, Ethernet), preferred.
- Development of fault diagnostic algorithms to detect sensor/actuator malfunctions and develop remedial strategies. Employ the use of statistical techniques, preferred.
- Perform algorithm validation using offline plant models. Define tests to benchmark control algorithm capability to follow set-point, reject disturbances within a typical surgical procedure. Develop controller performance assessment metrics.
- Strong programming skills in high level languages such as "C" and scripting languages (python, perl, etc.) preferred.
- A passion for changing the future of surgery
United States-Ohio-Cincinnati-4545 Creek Road
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)