The Sixth Judicial District, located in Duluth, is seeking qualified applicants for a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Eric Hylden.
Work involves the performance of professional legal research and other related clerical/administrative work in the preparation of memoranda, opinions, or orders for judges or court officials concerning the cases before them. Work is performed under general supervision of a justice, judge, or other legal official and is reviewed through conferences and written reports.
Example of Duties
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed.)
- Reviews, studies, researches, and annotates laws, court decisions, documents, opinions, briefs, and related legal authorities.
- Prepares briefs, legal memoranda, and statement of issues involved, including appropriate suggestions or recommendations to the justice or judge.
- Compiles references on laws and decisions necessary for legal determinations.
- Confers with justice, judge or court official concerning legal questions, construction of documents and granting of orders.
- Attends court sessions to hear oral arguments and records necessary case information; maintain records attendant to court proceedings.
- May perform courtroom duties including calling the calendar; swearing in jury panels and witness; taking court minutes; and assisting in various court proceedings such as arraignments, motions, hearings, pre-trial conferences and trials.
- Knowledge of general law, state law, established precedent, and sources of legal reference.
- Must be a graduate from an accredited law school.
- An attorney who has taken and passed the Minnesota Bar Exam is preferred.
- Ability to research complex legal problems or questions and apply legal principles.
Position will remain open until filled. Interviews will be held on November 9, 2018.
Please apply for this position online by clicking the apply link near the top of this page.
(For instructions on creating and submitting your online application, click on the How to Apply link in the left-hand menu at the top of this page).
In addition to completing the online application, all applicants must upload and attach law school transcripts and resume.
If you have questions about this position, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 218.720.1543.