The Sous Chef opportunity for us is responsible for assisting with the overall success of the Food Program. This means adhering to the Client's culture and guidelines, the Health Department's regulations, and our standards and expectations of food quality, freshness and presentation. This position oversees the kitchen's daily administrative, operational, and culinary tasks, including sanitation and safety. This position also motivates, trains, develops and directs the back of house employees to accomplish the objectives of the operation to the satisfaction of the customers and clients.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Teaches and adheres to our philosophy, culture and commitment to quality food and exemplary service.
- Supports the Executive Chef in having ownership of the Cafe;
- Has a Passion for food.
- Ensures all products and purchases meet our sustainability guidelines
- Has knowledge of and enforces the Client contractual agreement.
Supervision and Development of Staff
- Hires, trains and supervises the daily conduct of the staff.
- Supervises the adherence to proper uniform standards following the employee handbook and established account guidelines.
- Helps develop and revise job descriptions.
- Helps Executive Chef conducts staff reviews, coaching sessions, and disciplinary actions.
- Ensures that all Hiring and Training standards are met and documented for direct hires, including but not limited to New Hire Packet, Employee/Manager Hand Book Sign off Sheet, Fact Training Completion, and Safety Training.
- Oversees that all Executive Chef menus, programs, concepts, challenges and tasks are carried out in a time effective manner.
- Ensures that high quality food items are creatively well prepared and presented in a cost effective manner.
- Learns follows and leads the culinary staff in all our initiatives including Circle of Responsibility, Lo Carbon Diet, and Farm to Fork Programs
- Prepares a well balanced menu that meets the cultural and dietary needs of the Cafe; guests.
- Meets and exceeds the expectations of the customer and client perceived value.
- Ensures that all products and ingredients that are used are purchased following our purchasing standards and sustainability commitments.
- Works with management team to ensure that all display, catering and cafe; culinary set up meet specific account standards.
- Makes sure all kitchen waste is disposed of properly in the most sustainable manner as supported by the client
Customer Service and Client Relations
- Represents the company in a courteous, efficient, and friendly manner in all customer, client and employee interactions
- Interacts with customers and resolves customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner
- Communicates with the Client honestly, accurately and in a timely manner.
Financial Management and Analysis
- Ensures that all culinary personnel follow the proper time and attendance policy
- Works with Cafe Chef and Cafe Manager to make sure that labor goals are met.
- Assists Cafe Chef with placing proper orders, sourcing the best local and seasonal foods, and following purchasing guidelines.
- Completes inventory on an appropriate schedule
- Works with the Cafe Chef to ensure that food cost meets budgetary goals each week
Kitchen & Cafe; Supervision
- Ensures that overall cafe; kitchen space meets the standards as presented in Great Expectations, as well as oversees the daily appearance and upkeep of the kitchen
- Supervises the proper garnishing and presentation of food.
- Ensures that overall cafe; meets the standards as presented in Great Expectations, as well as oversees the daily appearance of the entire Cafe;
- Monitors daily signage for proper spelling and descriptions.
- Assists Cafe Chef & Catering Management team with special events as needed with staff, culinary support
- Works with Cafe Chef or Cafe Manager to plan seasonal tastings of new menu items, solicit feedback from guests.
Note: Job duties are subject to change as needed.
FOOD AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Adheres to all Health Department, OSHA and ADA regulations.
- Follows all Safety Manual guidelines.
- Develops and revises station specific daily and weekly cleaning checklists and oversees their accomplishment.
- Conducts weekly F.A.C.T. meetings, and ensures that regular trainings are occurring in units
- Reports any injury, accident and/or food borne illness incident for customers and/or staff accurately and in a timely manner to the General Manager.
- Trains all personnel in safe operating procedures of all equipment, utensils and machinery. Provides safety training in lifting, carrying, hazardous material control, chemical control, first aid and CPR.
- Attends monthly safety meetings and participates in safety inspections
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Has a minimum of 2 years kitchen supervisory experience or applicable culinary experience in a similar volume, quality food service establishment,
- Posses general hospitality knowledge and interest in sustainability and sustainable food practices
- Has the ability to operate Web based ordering systems, process customer requests, changes to orders, menu updates and client profiles.
- Proficient with word processing and compose basic email memos
- Posses the ability to meet Bon Appétit unit specific uniform standards for this position.
- Utilize all Personal Protective Equipments per Bon Appetit guidelines.
- Wear a cut resistant glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- ServSafe certified
- Online Sexual Harassment Training
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Stand, talk or hear, and taste or smell.
- Walk; use hands or fingers, handle, or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Push and Pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must consistently utilize all Personal Protective Equipment per our guidelines.
- Must wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
- Able to speak clearly and listen attentively to staff, peers, supervisors, guests and client in English
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to co workers and peers.
- Ability to lead small meetings and trainings with employees and other members of the company and cover basic health, safety, culinary and service topics.
ACHIEVING LEADERSHIP IN THE FOODSERVICE INDUSTRY:
We are a diversity growth-oriented organization. Our goal is to improve the quality of work life by using fair and consistent treatment and providing equal growth opportunities for ALL associates. EOE & AA Employer M/F/D/V.
This position supervises numerous (7-15) hourly employees of diverse background and skill level.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 /year
- Sunnyvale, CA 94085 (Required)