Adas Israel Congregation, a thriving 1600-family synagogue and DC magnet for contemporary Jewish life and spirituality, seeks a highly organized, diligent, and professional administrator to join our exciting team. The position involves the coordination and execution of managerial/administrative work related to synagogue’s ritual and admin functions. Specifically, this position will serve as an (all-around superstar!) executive assistant for our congregation’s Cantor and Assistant Rabbi, and will support the team at large through other administrative duties as needed and assigned. Aside from being able to accomplish tasks efficiently, the most important aspects of this position are the ability to multi-task, keep multiple “balls” in the air at once, and think critically through details. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, energetic, highly organized, and possess strong communication and computer skills (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and database software). Knowledge of Jewish communal life a major plus!
Clergy Assistant (70%):
- Manage the Cantor and Assistant Rabbi’s calendars and appointments, including scheduling for b’nai mitzvah students and families, meetings, other lifecycle events, etc.
- Copy, scan, and prepare text, music and other materials as required
- Submit payment requests and manage transactions
- Support the Cantor in preparation for all concerts, classes, events, meetings, services and life cycle events as needed
- Support the Assistant Rabbi in preparation for all classes, programs, events, meetings, services and life cycle events as needed
- Serve as an interface between the clergy and the community as needed, showing a positive and professional attitude in all personal, phone, and email interactions
- Assist with weekly Shabbat materials
- Other duties as assigned
Other Congregational Duties as Assigned (20%)
- Provide support with day-to-day administrative operations, filing, congregational database and online accounting software
- Provide support with computer and reporting needs
- Communicate with administrators, staff and volunteers as needed
- Help the team be the best it can be through duties as needed and assigned!
Front Desk Assistant (10%):
- Provide relief when the front desk receptionist is away (lunch, vacation, medical leave, etc.)
- Serve as a friendly and helpful “ambassador” and greeter for all who call or visit the congregation
- Answer all incoming calls and inquiries, and respond promptly and accordingly
- Act as point person for all members, guests and visitors coming through the main lobby
Job Type: Full-time
- Administrative Support: 2 years