If you are interested in applying for this position please visit our website at https://bpsrecruiting.com/
Facilitates the successful design, fabrication, and installation of structural precast building systems. Applies structural engineering skills and building code knowledge in analyzing, designing, and facilitating construction of these building systems, which include: Structural precast buildings and parking structures, structural precast/pre-stressed elements. Ensures a safe working environment by observing and enforcing company safety procedures and by exercising sound engineering judgment in design and construction of projects. Works with teams from project management to create cost-effective, structurally sound building solutions. As the primary structural designer for a given project, the Design Engineer should be self-reliant but will need to seek the guidance of the responsible charge engineer when appropriate.
- Prepares structural engineering design calculations and accompanying details for given projects.
- Reviews precast construction drawings for conformance with structural calculations.
- Reviews contract drawings and specifications for consistency with precast construction drawings and to ensure continuity of load paths.
- Works closely with project management team to determine cost-effective construction details.
- Provides structural information to outside entities such as the Structural Engineer of Record, Architect, or General Contractor, as needed to facilitate the design process.
- Facilitates permit process by providing supplemental calculations and responses to plan check comments from A&E teams, building officials, and/or government agencies (OSHPD/DSA).
- Attends meetings both on and off-site as needed to facilitate the above design activities.
- Provides production support calculations – for modifications that are needed to facilitate fabrication of the elements.
- Facilitates erection by providing calculation/designs for field as-built conditions. Offers structural solutions for these conflicts/deviations.
- Research current and new design standards, codes, and methods of construction.
- Perform R&D projects including conceptual design of new elements and connections.
- Validate designs through structural testing. Provide test procedures, data recording, and reporting of results and recommendations.
- Attend continuing education seminars and conferences to stay up to date with the latest building codes and industry standards of design.
5+ years’ experience in structural design of buildings or bridges. Prestress knowledge is preferred. Familiarity with the following design standards:
- CAD proficiency and ability to quickly draw engineering sketches
- Ability to visualize in 3D
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret architectural and engineering documents
- BS in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Solid understanding of engineering theory, statics, stress analysis and the mechanics of materials.
- PE or SE
Job Type: Full-time
- Structural Design: 5 years (Required)
- Professional Engineer (Required)