The Human Resources Director contributes to a qualified, motivated, and productive workforce by overseeing the overall strategic, tactical, and administration functions of human resources, and by promoting ethical behavior, integrity, honesty and loyalty throughout the company with a special focus on people, processes, and culture.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides overall leadership and guidance to human resources, and is involved in all phases of talent acquisition, career development, workforce planning, policy development, training, compensation, benefits, leadership development, and health and safety.
- Translates the strategic and tactical business plans into human resource strategic and operational plans designed to meet the growing organization's human capital needs, including talent acquisition, compensation, benefits, leadership development, organizational development, corporate culture, and training.
- Leads the design, development and implementation of programs, policies, and strategies tailored to meet organizational needs across the company.
- Leads and/or participates in performance management, benefit planning, benefit renewals, quarterly compensation reviews, employee relations issues, succession planning, and other similar human resource activities.
- Serves as a thought leader and coach for motivating, engaging, developing, and retaining talent throughout the organization.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Leads an effective and efficient human resources team that provides outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Provides advice and counsel to executives, managers, supervisors and employees regarding personnel practices, policy, safety practices and employment laws.
- Manages and/or assists with payroll, benefits administration, employee wellness program, unemployment, workers compensation, health savings accounts, 401(k) accounts, drug-free workplace program, reporting, and similar HR functions.
- Accountable for establishing a safe workplace compliant with applicable federal and state regulations. Adherence to and enforcement of these practices to promote a safety first culture.
- Participates on committees and special projects and seeks additional responsibilities.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned above. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Personnel and Human Resources – Excellent knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources. Maintains responsibility for company compliance with federal and state legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Leadership – Team oriented, collaborative approach, but willing and able to take overall responsibility for work. Ability to motivate and lead others in development and execution of human resource projects and initiatives.
- Safety Management - Knowledge of federal, state and local environmental, health, and safety laws and requirements.
- Conflict Management - Resolving conflict by weighing in on and resolving differences effectively.
- Critical Thinking – Demonstrated ability to effectively take action to solve problems while exhibiting sound judgement and critical thinking skills.
- Confidentiality - Able to demonstrate confidentiality in the performance of duties. Complies with the established operations, procedures, and policies.
- Problem Solving Skills - Builds a logical approach to address problems or opportunities or manage the situation at hand by drawing on one's knowledge and experience base, and calling on other references and resources as necessary.
- Attention to Detail - Ability to manage and execute work with a high degree of detail with accuracy, effectiveness, and organization.
- Interpersonal Skills – Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills for collaboratively working with employees at all levels, vendors, and external partners. Exceptional listening skills – listens first, and then responds.
- Social Perceptiveness – Awareness of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Independence & Initiative - Good technical skills, including the ability to work independently, resourcefully solve problems and initiative to produce accurate work in a timely fashion and at the desired level of performance.
- Computer Literacy - Ability to utilize a variety of computer software applications such as word processing, databases, internet searching applications, email applications and spreadsheet software.
- Communication Skills - Must have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing. Ability to deliver clear, concise and impactful written and verbal communications to audiences with varied backgrounds. Effectively presents information to groups in a clear and diplomatic manner.
- Customer-centric Approach - Consistently presents company services and products in a positive manner, adhering to customer service guidelines and procedures as established by the company.
- Project Management Skills – Ability to demonstrate strong project management skills, with multiple projects. Proactively keep projects moving through self-motivation and influencing the timely work of others. Meets deadlines.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field.
- 4-5 years of experience in Human Resources.
- PHR/SPHR, SHRM or other professional certifications.
The job function is performed in an office setting requiring normal safety precautions. Observance of all safety rules and guidelines is imperative and expected at all times. A willingness and ability to travel to the Ashland Office is required as part of this position.
Job Type: Full-time
- HR professional certification