This position reports to the Purchasing Administrator and processes formal bids (RFP, RFQ and Sealed bids) and purchase orders from the initial request phase to successful vendor award.
Pay Grade: 49
1. Two (2) years of experience in purchasing; and
2. One (1) year of experience working the complete cycle of RFPs and sealed bids; and
3. Graduated from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in business, public administration, or related field; OR
4. An equivalent combination of related education and/or experience.
5. One (1) or more purchasing certification(s), such as CPM, CPP, CPPM, CPPC or SPSM, preferred.
6. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Processes formal bids (RFP, RFQ, Sealed bids) from department request or recurring schedule.
2. Processes procurement requisitions and purchase orders to award successful vendor(s).
3. Learns and employs Shelby County Government purchasing policies, procedures and diversity ordinances.
4. Completes all tasks timely and accurately.
5. Supports and informally trains user departments, as needed.
6. Identifies purchasing concerns, provides suggests and participates in resolutions, as needed.
7. Fills in for other buyers in their absence, as needed.
8. Maintains excellent verbal, written, and personal communication with user departments and vendors.
9. Performs other related duties as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
KSAs and Others -
1. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with good task management skills.
2. Comfortable with system changes and process improvements.
3. Knowledge of modern purchasing tasks, ideally in a governmental environment.
4. Have working knowledge of contemporary automated purchasing systems.
5. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
6. Knowledge of state and federal purchasing guidelines, and best purchasing practices.
7. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and with a positive demeanor.
8. Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion, self-motivation and multi-tasking.
9. Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with colleagues, personnel at all levels of County Government, and vendors.
10. May be required to work overtime.