Downtown Long Beach
Job Code 1295
Job Grade Range A
Department OFFICE OF GENERAL COUNSEL
Chancellor's Office Statement
Join our team at the California State University, Office of the Chancellor, and make a difference in providing access to higher education. We are currently seeking experienced candidates for the position of Legal Secretary. The CSU Chancellor's Office, located on the waterfront adjacent to the Aquarium of the Pacific in downtown Long Beach, is the headquarters for the nation's largest and most diverse system of higher education. The CSU Chancellor's Office offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, and dental plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS); and 14 paid holidays a year.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The California State University, Office of the Chancellor, is seeking a Legal Secretary to work with three or more attorneys, and/or paralegals and the Chief of Staff in the Office of General Counsel to provide a full range of support and administrative services.
Selected applicants will be required to take skills tests prior to being considered for an interview.
Under the general direction of the Chief of Staff, the Legal Secretary will:
- Be responsible for an office administrative specialty function - e.g., budget maintenance, technology issues, processing Title 5 changes, library management, legislation and contracts.
- Prepare legal pleadings, subpoenas, and legal briefs in compliance with Federal, State and local
court rules, including but not limited to court calendaring and e-filing/e-service;
- Interact statewide with court clerks, deposition and attorney services;
- Prepare and process all forms of communication within and outside of the California State
- Open and maintain office files, both hard copy and electronic;
- Maintain calendars, make travel arrangements, prepare travel request and reimbursement, and other CSU administrative forms;
- Answer telephones, and perform other office-related duties, including but not limited to filing, copying, scanning, indexing, and various other organizational tasks;
- Monitor, replenish and order office supplies;
- Maintain internal office lists;
- Troubleshoot basic computer issues, telephone issues, and basic office repairs
- Process invoices, and membership dues, and run errands between CO buildings.
The Legal Secretary is assigned to support designated attorneys, paralegals and the Chief of Staff, and reports to the Chief of Staff, who prepares his/her evaluation. She/He is a part of the office team and will from time to time be asked to assume responsibilities outside of his/her principal functions.
This position requires:
- 3 to 5 years experience as a Legal Secretary
- Must type at a corrected rate of at least 55wpm
- Must be proficient with current computer platforms and software applications, including formatting legal pleadings/documents
- Must be able to generate tables of contents and authorities in Microsoft Word and must have
State/federal law knowledge
- Experience using eCounsel/Bridgeway/NetDocs preferred.
Resumes will be accepted until job posting is removed. Priority consideration given to candidates who apply by May 14, 2019.
How To Apply
To apply for this posting:
Click 'Apply Now' at the bottom of the screen
Login or Register (Create Username and Password)
Select to apply with resume
Upload one file containing resume. If you would like to include a cover letter, please include it with the resume in one document.
Provide contact information and verify application information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
This position requires new hire employment verification to be processed through the E-Verify program administered by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHSUSCIS)' in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
If hired, you will be required to furnish proof that you are legally authorized to work in the United States.
The Chancellor's Office policy requires that the selected candidate successfully complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency