Bet Tzedek – the House of Justice
Bet Tzedek Legal Services
2020 Post-Graduate Public Interest Fellowship
Impact Litigation & Policy
ABOUT BET TZEDEK
Bet Tzedek sets the standard for innovation in public interest law and is one of the top legal agencies in the
country providing both direct services and impact litigation assistance to Los Angeles’ most vulnerable
populations. Bet Tzedek’s pioneering projects combine direct legal representation with powerful outreach,
education, and legislative advocacy. Our leadership is a dynamic coalition between the public, private and
non-profit sectors delivering innovative approaches to address root causes of poverty and exploitation. Our
legal expertise and capacity to effect positive, sustainable social change garners national attention.
Bet Tzedek seeks to sponsor a committed, dynamic, and collaborative candidate for a 2020 public interest
fellowship with our Impact Litigation & Policy Project. Bet Tzedek is interested in applicants with anti-poverty
focused project proposals who intend to apply for external funding. Bet Tzedek will assist in developing the
idea into a fellowship proposal and help prepare fellowship applications as needed. In addition to the
fellowship project, the Fellow will be a fully integrated member of the Project’s legal team, working on our
current docket of consumer and employment class actions, writ of mandate lawsuits, and anti-poverty policy.
The Impact & Policy Project represents low-income individuals in litigation in California state and federal
courts, and engages in anti-poverty policy at the local, state, and national levels. The fellow will engage in
various aspects of impact litigation and policy advocacy in a diverse range of Bet Tzedek’s practice areas,
including employment rights, elder justice, and consumer law. The fellow will report to the Director of Impact
Litigation & Policy and will work in close collaboration with Bet Tzedek staff, pro bono attorneys, law clerks,
and community-based organizations. Applicants should be prepared to describe one or more project ideas
related to protecting elders, workers’ rights, or consumers’ rights through impact litigation or policy.
Under the supervision of Bet Tzedek staff, the fellow will:
- Help develop, conduct, and/or co-counsel strategic impact litigation
- Conduct legal research and analysis, and analysis and track proposed legislation
- Work with Bet Tzedek staff and community partners to identify systemic problems impacting Bet
Tzedek’s clients that could be addressed through affirmative litigation or policy
- Develop trainings and informational materials for other practitioners and community members.
- Membership in the California bar or ability to practice under CA Rule of Court 9.45 by August 2020
(strongly preferred), or completed the CA bar exam by August 2020 (required)
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-poverty and social justice work, and to serving low-income
community members with compassion and respect.
Please contact Alisa Shudofsky, Director of Pro Bono Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Bet Tzedek Legal Services 3250 Wilshire Blvd. 13th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90010-1509
(323) 939-0506 • fax: (213) 471-4570 • www.bettzedek.org