A Universal Banker I must have exceptional customer service and sales skills and consistently maintain a positive attitude. The Universal Banker I must be a team player who is supportive of management and Bank policies. Employees in this position may be required to perform both sales & service duties depending on the needs of the customer and the direction of the Banking Center Manager at the assigned office. A Universal Banker I is considered the critical link between the Bank and our customers. A genuine interest in serving the customer is the key to being a successful Universal Banker I.
The primary responsibility of the Universal Banker I is to provide quality service to customers of MidSouth Bank through both the lobby and drive-in of the banking center. The Universal Banker I works as part of the banking center team to ensure individual and banking center goals are met.
The primary duties of a Universal Banker I are:
- Understand bank mission, organizational structure, employee handbook, bank security, policies and procedures, standards of conduct and incentive program
- Have an awareness of general banking services
- Have knowledge of MidSouth Bank’s products/services, pricing and internal requirements
- Be aware of competitor bank products/services and advantages of MidSouth Bank
- Promote bank services and cross sell bank products through referrals
- Operate network computers/software, and other equipment necessary to handle financial transactions.
- Accept deposits of cash and/or checks
- Process withdrawals and cash checks up to designated limits
- Have knowledge about the importance and requirements of, and how to complete Currency Transaction Reports (CTRs)
- Accept loan payments of all types
- Redeem cash items for deposit or cash
- Provide information for customers regarding products and services
- Sell cashier’s checks, bank money orders and travelers checks
- Process cash advances on credit/debit cards
- Balance cash and negotiable items
- Participate in on-going training
- Travel to other locations to assist as needed
- Know when to report suspicious transactions/activity/situations to appropriate personnel
- Participate in the general upkeep and appearance of the banking center
The secondary responsibility of the Universal Banker I is to provide back-up for new accounts and consumer loans in the absence of the Universal Banker II. The secondary duties of a Universal Banker I are:
- Have knowledge of MidSouth Bank’s products/services, pricing and internal requirements, and be able to communicate these effectively to customers & prospects using these opportunities to sell additional products and services
- Assist in the retention of banking center customers, promote bank services & cross sell bank products using benefits statements based on customer needs, as well as participate in banking center sales incentive programs
- Answer inquiries from customers & prospects, using these opportunities to sell additional products and services to customers
- Handle customer service requests including not limited to (with the exception of Non-Deposit investment requests): client assessments, name & address changes, check orders, issue/renew/cash CDs, paying & receiving teller duties.
- Participate in telephone sales and appreciation calls
- Learn about competitor bank products/services and advantages of MidSouth Bank
- Has the ability to handle reporting suspicious transactions/activity/situations to appropriate personnel
- Comply with federal banking regulations including but not limited to: US Patriot Act, Secrecy Act, Reg CC
Other duties or responsibilities that may be assigned to the Universal Banker I are:
- Combination and or key control
- Opening and processing night depository and ATM
- Control of negotiable instruments
- Participate in the banking center sales incentive program
- In the absence of Banking Center Manager and Universal Banker II or III, may be required to assist in the managing of the banking center including but not limited to: ordering office supplies, contacting vendors for required machine maintenance
- Provide relief and additional coverage for other employees as required, including safe deposit attendant
- Open or close the banking center according to security procedures, having the ability to arm and disarm the premise protection for the banking center
Other duties as designated by management.
- Minimum – high school graduate or equivalent
- Basic math aptitude and proficiency
- 1 year prior CSA (Teller) experience is required
- Knowledge and experience in new accounts and consumer loans necessary to provide back up on sales of these products
- Operate network computers/software, and other equipment necessary to handle financial transactions
- Must have a professional appearance and manner
- Must be self-motivated
- Must be proficient in opening new accounts, loan applications, closing loans
Read, write, speak clearly over the phone and one-on-one conversation, count currency and coin, operate Head/Vault Teller related equipment, read on-line computer screen, and to achieve 95% accuracy in their use the following equipment:
- Network PC & GroupWise software, ITI Teller Plus software and printers
- Coin dispenser
- Combination locks
- Coin counting machine
- Drive-in tube
- Adding machine
- Fax machine
- Visa/MasterCard authorization machine
- Check protector
- Currency counting machine
- Copy Machine
- Pin Select
- Demonstrate ATM and P.A.T.
- Alarm systems (arm and disarm), surveillance cameras (changing video tapes)
- Wide Area Network Server backup
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision.
Written Communication Intermediate
Microsoft Outlook Intermediate
Computer Use Expert
Verbal Communication Expert
Capable of making others think deeply on a subject
Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Works well as a member of a group
Ability to Make an Impact:
Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Inspired to perform well when granted the ability to set your own schedule and goals
Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
High School or better in Other.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.