About Community Works
Community Works (CW) provides direct services and advocacy for people impacted by incarceration. This work takes place in jails, prisons and communities across the Bay Area. The agency’s mission is to engage youth and adults in programs that interrupt and heal the impacts of incarceration and violence by empowering individuals, families, and communities. CW’s long-term goal is to radically reduce the number of individuals entering and re-entering the juvenile and criminal justice systems and to reduce those systems' impacts on individuals, families, and communities, particularly low-income communities of color.
About the Position
We are seeking a fund development professional to manage the organization’s fund development program and build a corporate giving and individual donor program from the ground up. Working with the Executive Director and the executive team, the Development Manager will provide leadership on all fundraising initiatives including special events, major gifts, planned giving, sponsorships, donor cultivation and grant writing. A successful candidate will identify, organize and manage the fundraising activities of the organization with a focus on new opportunities to obtain ongoing and increased support from corporations, public and private organizations, and individuals. The ideal candidate will have an interest in restorative justice and criminal justice reform, as well as an understanding of evidence-based and promising practices for working with communities impacted by incarceration.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop and implement a comprehensive written annual resource development plan with strategies for donors and prospects in each constituent group including: individuals, organizations, corporations, etc. to be approved by the board of directors.
- Provide monthly reports to the Executive Director which measure progress towards achieving the plan.
- Broaden CW’s funding streams by developing approaches such as planned giving, solicitation of bequests, and endowment
Grant requests and Administration
- Research and write grant proposals for the organization under the supervision of the Executive Director.
- Coordinate with the leadership team, program managers, and other staff in the development of grant proposals and programs.
- Provide timely reporting and ensure compliance as required by grant award
- Create and implement strategies for donor development and cultivation which will provide a diverse and sustainable funding base for
- Keep up-to-date on current fundraising programs, practices, and procedures used in the nonprofit sector and inform the organization’s leadership of strategies that would benefit
- Create and implement major gifts program, planned giving program, and volunteer giving program.
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors of all types, develop strategies for solicitation, and solicit or coordinate solicitation by other staff, board, and volunteers, as
- Develop and implement all aspects of direct donor mailings and appeal letters.
- Build and ensure that the donor database information is current and
- Manage or oversee all CW
- Manage and plan the organization’s annual giving event.
- Work with appropriate staff and volunteers to ensure that all aspects of a successful event are coordinated towards a common
- Develop and solicit sponsors for events as
Capacity Building and Strategic Planning
- Support the organization’s capacity building and strategic planning efforts through the alignment of fund development strategies.
- Maintain alignment between the organization’s fund development plan and its communications and policy strategy.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two to five years experience in fundraising and resource development.
- Familiarity with criminal justice reform and social justice issues.
- Advanced PC skills (donor database experience desirable).
- Desire to work as part of a team and willingness to promote the principles of Community Works.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision – self-motivated and
- Ability to handle multiple projects
- Ability to manage deliverables from staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work well with people from all backgrounds with varying degrees of experience.
- Confident public speaking and able to express ideas verbally and in
Community Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a culturally diverse work environment that reflects the make-up of the communities we serve. People with diverse personal experiences are urged to apply, especially people of color, bi-lingual English-Spanish speakers, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals, women, and those that have been formerly incarcerated or impacted by incarceration.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to jobs at communityworkswest.org.
Community Works provides a competitive salary and benefits package.
Job Type: Full-time