The HR and Payroll Coordinator is responsible for the processing and monitoring of Payroll and Human Resource appointments for over 400 employees in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (Lecturers, Researchers, Staff, Faculty, Students, etc.). The position includes but is not limited to performing the following duties:
Minimum Qualifications:Education & Experience:
- Managing bi-weekly payroll for the department in PHR, including processing new appointments, retroactive changes, employee terminations, pay adjustments and calculations.
- Preparing and processing VISA applications (J1, and H1.)
- Issuing and monitoring of employment contracts for renewal.
- Issuing departmental scholarships and fellowships.
- Reviewing employment forms and benefit package options with new employees.
- Serve as liaison with various human resource, academic, and payroll departments on campus.
- Communicating with various payroll and human resource departments on campus.
- Keeping departmental administrators informed of policy or procedural changes within payroll or human resources areas.
- Entering payroll encumbrances into the department’s financial software system (BA3/4.)
- Assisting departmental administrators with review and approval of timesheets.
- Preparing various personnel reports for the Director and/or Chair of the department.
- Maintaining accurate personnel files for the department, while adhering to all University, State and Federal regulations.
- Reconciliation of salary expenses on state account.
- Overseeing administrative office functions for parking, key distribution, building security and room access.
- Supervising and training the Program Management Specialist.
A high school diploma/GED plus 7 years of progressively responsible work experience in payroll and/or human resources.
A bachelor’s degree plus 3 years of progressively responsible work experience in payroll and/or human resources.
Experience should include 1-2 years supervisory experience.
Basic financial background to be able to calculate payroll appointments and adjustments.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Possess strong interpersonal skills to communicate independently and effectively with students, faculty, staff, and various on campus departments.
Skill in organizing and executing multiple assignments under specific time constraints.
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact.
Working knowledge of excel to develop salary charts.
Ability to take initiative in researching and resolving problems to complete work assignments.
Working knowledge of the University’s Payroll and Human Resource (PHR) appointment system.
Experience using BA3/4 /Priority Software.
Prior experience processing VISAs for foreign visitors (J1 and H1.)
Experience reading and translating payroll encumbrances on financial reports.
Knowledge of General Accounting Principles.
Familiarity with UMCP Policy and Procedures, particularly in the areas of: purchasing, procurement, travel, contract and grant post-award management, and document retention.
Additional Certifications: Additional Information:
Please provide salary history and/or salary requirements. For best consideration please apply by September 28, 2018.
09/07/2018 Closing Date: Open Until Filled Yes Best Consideration Date 09/28/2018 Physical Demands
Must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 85% of the time.
Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
Capable of exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
Substantial repetitive movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers from computer entry work.
The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
Must be able to maneuver around the campus to attend meetings and pick up time-sensitive or valuable items from other departments.
Frequently communicates with faculty, staff and students who have inquiries at the front office desk. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
List of References (no emails sent from system)