- High School Diploma or GED
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Health Insurance
General Summary Statement
Provides patient care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Performs duties that support the operation of the nursing unit. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Patient Care Responsibilities
1. Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
2. Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
3. Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
4. Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective equipment.
5. Interacts with the patient in a manner that preserves patient dignity, privacy, and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
6. Bathes patients and provides assistance with hygiene. (Includes baths, mouth care, shaves males, combs hair, and washes patient’s hair as requested.)
7. Changes bed linens for occupied and unoccupied beds.
8. Changes incontinent patients promptly and provides appropriate skin care.
9. Empties bedpans, urinals, commodes, and assists patient to the bathroom.
10. Assists patients with meals, feeds patients as needed.
11. Distributes nourishment's as scheduled.
12. Provides fresh water at bedside as appropriate.
13. Measures and records intake and output.
14. Positions patients correctly, align and support torso and limbs as directed and per patient comfort.
15. Transports patients via wheelchair or stretcher using safety measures appropriate for patient and vehicle.
16. Uses proper body mechanics when transferring patient during ambulation and bed – chair transfers.
17. Makes hourly rounds for patient safety and customer service.
18. Responds to patient call lights in a timely manner.
19. Obtains vital signs and weights, and records.
20. Applies chest leads for patients on remote telemetry monitoring, and performs basic troubleshooting, such as replacing loose or missing electrodes.
21. Collects and labels urine, stool, and sputum specimens as directed.
22. Inventories patient belongings at admission, transfer and discharge.
23. Provides 1:1 patient supervision in “Sitter” role for patient safety and suicide precautions.
24. Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, information needed to complete job duties.
25. Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned shift.
26. Performs procedures within the scope of the Policy and Procedure Manual.
Education Training and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent. Training and/or experience at an acute care or skilled nursing facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience.
Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse use. Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email, and internet. Ability to successfully complete on the job training for CCH computer programs.
Ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.